ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Disconnecting Airbag??

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
I'm wanting to fit an aftermarket steering wheel to my 182.

How easy is it to remove the standard steering wheel with the airbag?

Takes about 20 mins, 10 of which is waiting for the battery to discharge.

If you turn the steering wheel 90 degrees in either direction you'll see there's two clips on the back, long handled screwdriver to prise them out which pops the airbag off, disconnect the wiring, then a T50 socket to get the centre bolt out.

Very, disconnect the battery about 20minutes before you start. The airbag is held on by two metal "hooks" on the reverse face of the wheel, unclip these by using a flat bladed screw driver then gently ease the airbag off the front of the weel. Disconnect all the plug connectors, undo the centre torx bolt that holds the wheel to the steering shaft (do not remove just loosen a couple of turns) give the wheel a short sharp tug to release it then remove the torx bolt fully and slide the wheel off.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent new that its very easy. Hopefully get it fitted in next few days.

Does disconnecting the battery affect anything else? Like ECU? Reason I asl is because I come from the world of Peugeot 106 Rallyes and disconnecting the battery on them can lock the ECU

Nope, won't lock out the ECU, obviously if you have a headunit with a code you'll want that handy and you'll lose all your settings but that's about as dramatic as it gets.

Iceberg 172
Does removing the driver's airbag disable the passenger airbag too, or will that still work?

depends if you put resistors back into the ends of the airbag plugs that were connected into the steering wheel. needs to be a complete circuit i think in order to make the other airbags work or else it just throws up the airbag fault light.