ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

disintegrated oil filter?

DCi
Someone I know has had the car diagnosed with a disintegrated oil filter and that it will require a new engine.

It's a Y reg but it has been regularly serviced (by a mechanic friend not at a garage though)

Is it worth a 2nd opinion? Is it likely that this is possible and that a new engine will be required or can it be fixed?

Just never heard of anything like that before so wanted to hear what you lot have to say before money is spent!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
metal cannister type filter? or paper element type?

we had a porsche boxster at work that had a paper element type, garage had ordered the wrong part meaning it was too long, when they screwed the casing on it crushed the filter and stopped oil flow, major engine failure ensued!

DCi
had a few more thoughts about this -

the engine is still running although it sounds like a crap diesel.
So if we are planning to change the engine... it can't hurt to give it an oil and filter change - and even run some cleaning fluid to try and flush out the disintegrated crap?
I'm thinking if you take the filter off and just pour something through to clear it out - what would be best to pour through?

Mondeo TDCI 130
had a few more thoughts about this -

the engine is still running although it sounds like a crap diesel.
So if we are planning to change the engine... it can't hurt to give it an oil and filter change - and even run some cleaning fluid to try and flush out the disintegrated crap?
I'm thinking if you take the filter off and just pour something through to clear it out - what would be best to pour through?

Be on a chain not a belt? have mega issues with the timing chain and vauxhall do know about it, something to do witth the tensioners! They rattle like and old fiesta!!!

Iceburg 172
i was driving a works courtesy car fiesta about 6 months ago, then BANG!! metal filter had rot away, car was only 18months old!