ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ditch the spare wheel

220bhp octy VRS

wondering if its worth keeping the spare wheel at home to save some weight......just read something about the cup not having one....

how much do you think they weight? could you tell the difference when driving or am I just being stupid?!!!

320d M Sport

i can tell in mine, back end feels lighter and it doesnt look as low at the back, so clearly must be pretty heavy.

sods law is the minute u take it out youll need it!

Remapped derv Golf

Would make no difference. Only is a space saver anyway isnt it? Would even put one in my CUP instead of fiddling around on a dark road.

loose it - you may not tangibly save anything but the psychological boost is there - carry tyre weld and touch wood regularly

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 25 November 2003

i can tell in mine, back end feels lighter and it doesnt look as low at the back, so clearly must be pretty heavy.
According to Renault, a mk2 172 alloy & tyre weighs 17kg!!!

Would gain you a whopping 2.4bhp/tonne Paddy! ;)

i was also think about leaving my spare wheel at home to , to make the car lighter, i was aslo thinking of leaving the ash tray,tax disc,valve caps & of course cigarette lighter !! suley this would gain a few bhp ????

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Come to think of it does the car slow you down?

Better off running IMHO

every bit of weight counts, butyuor shafted if you get a puncture. i dont carry mine but only cos its to low to get it out from the underside of the car, if im going on a long journey i chuck it in the boot.

take if off and see... take your back seats and all that crap out aswell and it will suprise you how much quicker it is, but it will be noisy as feck and why lose the quality interior and all that for a little speed - that a bit saxo.

I took mine off and weighed it, was about 17-18kg with the cage etc.

Very small difference in performance, handling and looks.

Your car will not be any quicker at all, do not ditch it or youre in trouble when you get a puncture. Tyre weld is absolute puddie.

If you are that anal to save weight, only have a gallon of petrol at a time in the tank and race between each filling station, you save 30 kilos over normal, but fill up half a dozen daily.

Even better, fit a remote unit to the cliosport so you do not have to actually sit in the car, and you can control it from another car behind.

Finally when in bed with the female, you can remove your foreskin and one testicle ( you only need one ) to save weight, it is called "cliocupsex" in the trade, that should make you cum faster than if you had your foreskin and extra testicle, which is known as the the "full172experience". Following me?

Bye Bye

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I have done the weight thing to try it out, removed spare (I think your right about 17KG cause I weighed mine the last time) and back seat and it made quite a bit of a diffirence.

Probably only psychological though, cause removing everything including the rear sound proofing mat made it much louder, which in turn made you want to rag it to hear the engine heh.

That said though im pretty sure it was noticable. Just picking up quicker.

I have got 17s so my 15" spare was as much use as a chocolate teapot!

I have just got a can of that instant seal sh*t in my boot at all times!!

In the 172 you get a full size alloy. I keep it at home with the tool kit, saves 20kg+ if you go one step further and replace the standard alloys with lightweights you could see a total weight saving of over 60kgs. In a car that is already quite light I reckon that would make a noticeable difference.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Stripping the car does work and gain you performance as weve proved many times at RWYB events...

You can shed time and gain terminal speed by removing excess weight!

where did strippin the whole car come into it.........it started off leaving the spare wheel at home & that was it !!!...................lmao !!!

Speaking as a Cup owner I would rather trade the weight of a few lbs for having the security of a proper spare as oppossed to a pair of crap aerosol cans with a 50:50 chance of working and getting you home!

ff 182

I got rid of my spare wheels as soon as i got it and its better but the aerosol cans are crap and they fu8k ur wheels mate