ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY CAT

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
Hi ppl, im just wondering if drilling out my standard CAT would work, i.e making it into a sports cat that has less cells. If a drill a few holes through and make it less restrictive it should still work but will be less restrictive shouldnt it??

Any advise would be great, cheers guys!!

Black 197
Maybe but from what i've heard some cats are made of porcelain like china and once cracked can quickly deterorate so maybe drilling a hole here and there will cause it to breakdown quickly leaving you with a blocked exhaust and in need of a new cat, maybe buy a sports cat or de-cat it

172 CUP
I think the actual catalitic part of the cat is a brittle brick isn't it?

If so, drilling it would probably break it up. Even if it did work, i would've thought it would still fail an emissions test!

I'm not sure though. I'm sure someone cleverer will be along to help lol ...

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
so are all cats very fragile inside then? I just thought it would be a cheap and easy way of getting a sports cat.

Black 197
Some are very fragile, You do get cats with a metal honey comb inside as i have it on mine but i got a sports cat, TBH im not too clued up on cats all i know is the inside is coated in a chemical and when the emissions flow from the engine they go into the cat and a chemical reaction occurs with the fumes and the said chemical, the result cleaner emmisions upon exit of the cat, Fewer cells = less restrictive but tbh i dont know how big the power gain is from say 400 cell to 200, cant imagine it'll be big maybe 1-2 bhp

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
ha, well its kinda cleared my head on the issue. I have a ctr ep3 and there are no sports cats you can realy buy from them unless you pay like £1000 on a mugen sports cat and manifold. Sod that lol!!

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
haha nice mate, Well i could just get a manifold and decat for it which would cost around £300 but i dont fancy having the dash light on! things are never simple with cars lol!

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
cheers s4lkk, iv herd very good things about tdi north but there part are expensive but i suppose they could help me with my light.
Rossy what is an OBD reader? is it one of them fake relay things?

Take the cat off, get a trolly jack handle down it and hammer it in a bit until it smashes. Get rid of all the crap that's left in the cat and then put it back on.

Black 197
No lol i think its a "clip" plugs into the on board computer and talks to the ECU

Or follow JME's method.. should work !

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
oh ryte, sounds pretty good. any idea where a can pick this "clip" up from lol?
cheers

Black 197
well there specific to manufacturers, or go to a garage and get it turned off, can buy a cheap one for my rs for £40 - prob piece of cr*p but if its only for that then worth a try i spose

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
ok cheers pal. Btw since u seem to no your stuff, do you know how to input the headunit code on a clio? I put my standard headunit back it and it doesnt work. everytime a press a button it just beeps. Is there a special combination of buttons i need to press for me to then type the code in, if you get me??
cheers

Black 197
Oohh now your asking ! I did it once too, Got my book in my car as it happens, I'll check in a min and report back asap

You'll need a code-reader if you want to get rid of the warning light, you can get them off eBay (search OBD II Code reader) or K-Tec.

Black 197
Start car & switch on stereo
It will prompt you for the code by flashing four ----
On your stereo there are 6 buttons for preset radio channels
If the code is 1234 then you press button No 1 once.
No 2 twice
No 3 thrice
No 4 well four times.
You get the idea. When the code is right, press the tuning button or similar ( not the numbered buttons....!) And there you go.

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
thanks for the help, just need to find out what my code is now lol. when i last started the car it didnt come up with the code ---- it didnt do anything apart from bleep when i pressed a button? oh wel