ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Colourcoding Guide?

Black Gold Cup Packed 182
Anyone know of a good detailed guide for the process of colourcoding the bumpstrips/bumpers? Searched the forum to no avail.

Cheers.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You'll need to rub your bump strips down first is they have a textured finish. Start with something like a 320 grit then finish with 1500 grit .Now clean / degrease them with panel wipe . Next a few coats of plastic primer . Rub them down again with 1500 grit until they are nice and smooth and your happy with the finish .

Make sure they are clean and grease free befoe you apply any primer ,paint etc ... ,use some panel wipe , maybe even a tac cloth .

Spray with the colour thinly , too thick and it will run .How many coats is up to you , personally i'd give them at least 3 possibly even 6 , again depends how thick you apply it and when your happy with the finish .

If the finish is good apply the lacquer .If the colour is a bit rough rub them down with 2000 grit and clean thoroughly , removing any dust , grease etc ...

If you apply the lacquer too thin it can give a slightly matt finish , too thick and and it can go a bit cloudy and run . A bit of trial and error here .

Leave them to cure for a few days then polish them up with some meguiars scratch x

Do it in a warmish environment ( not your bedroom , lol ) .

How long should you leave between each stage, just til its dry? or should it be left for say a day or so?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Until it's dry . Doesn't take long to dry if its applied thinly in a warm environment , somewhere like a shed with heating would be ideal . If you leave em 30 mins that should be fine , just don't be tempted to touch them with your fingers to see if they're dry , lol .

Try a local motor factor place that mixes paint for your aerosols , the one i use have better nozzles than the ones you buy from Halfords .

Chocolate Bar™
i'd go with what mr billy says! Just one extra tip, if its a sunny day outside (regardless of temperature) do it in the sun, and lay the laquer down in a thick coat, and it wont go cloudy. Prob something to do with the UV rays, but works a treat

By the way, wheres the best place to buy all the materials, and how much will it roughly cost?

Ta.

Chocolate Bar™
last time i did it i payed around £30-40 all in, but i do overdo it most of the time. i.e extra layers of colour, primer etc. which arent really needed lol