ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Oil change

ex Clio 172 owner :(
My 172 is coming up to 30k miles and was last serviced at the correct 24k miles. I acquired the car two weeks ago.

I always change my oil with fully synthetic every 6k miles. Keep your oil new, keep your engine new etc...

I've bought 5w40 Fully Synthetic, the Renault filter, sump plug and washer.

Thing is.... how the heck to you actually do the oil change.

Doesn't seem to be much room to work. I struggle to even get my hand on the current filter on the engine, never mind taking it off and replacing.

Assuming I get it off, is it a case of take the sump plug out, drain oil, take filter off and replace with new one (with some of the oil run round the edge - or is there more to it than that?), replace sump plug and washer (new ones) and fill the oil to the correct level?

Never actually done an oil change before myself.

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
remove the fuel rail guard at the front of the engine, makes it easier to get the filter off

to get the filter off you will need a claw filter remover

you need an 8mm square sump plug key

no need to replace the sump plug, you only need to replace the washer

DO NOT over tighten the sump plug, the amount of cars i've worked on and the previous monkey has cranked the thing up as tight as possible!!!

Bang on. Ive got a little oil filter clamp. just dont forget when your filling it up, to leave it a while in between checking and filing, as it needs time to run dow, also when you fill it up, dont worry if its a little bit over max before youve run the engine, as it still needs to fill the filter.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
no you got it all there i think....its easy to do, the biatch one to do is the gearbox!

if you dont have oil filter remover, do it like the rest of us do, drill a hole right thru it and put a screw driver thru it, now turn lol easy as pie :)

Fred2001Dynamic said:
DO NOT over tighten the sump plug, the amount of cars i've worked on and the previous monkey has cranked the thing up as tight as possible!!!

Indeed, worked on a golf GTI and the thread had actually been stripped on the sump!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Danlp6 said:
Pah the gearbox is pish easy!

its easy to do, its a b**ch to get the oil back in tho as the filling whole is on the bloody side! bit of garden hose and funnel works tho but its still a w**k to screw the plug back in lol

The Fatty said:
its easy to do, its a b*tch to get the oil back in tho as the filling whole is on the bloody side! bit of garden hose and funnel works tho but its still a w*nk to screw the plug back in lol

Aye funnel and hose is the only way! but i still prefer to do all the oil at the same time!

Cheers guys. I might give it a go.

Does the oil filter just go on hand tight or do I need to tighten with the tool I've used to take it off?

Cool cheers.

About time I did a diy oil change. Didn't think I could do discs and pads until I got stuck in.

i better buy a torque wrench.......

oh dear more money on the car....

any recommendations on where to buy one from, the only tool kit i have at present is the 150piece from halfrauds.. but i did buy it when it was 99quid...

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
jonnyjogpants said:
if you over tighten the sump and then replace the washer, then re-tighten the sump, can this still leak then

It normally leaks when you get little scratches where the washer and sump surfaces meet. Just but a tiny bit of grease on the surface first so it doesn't scour when you tighten it up and then it shouldn't leak any :)