ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY Poly bushes

Flame Red Ph2 172
Hi, I'm new here and to Renaults but decided to get myself a Ph2 172 as a cheap track car. I'm slowly working my way round the car sorting everything to get it ready for its firt outing.
I've read a lot on here about the benefits of using uprated engine / gearbox mounts and decided that seeing as mine were shot I'd go with some upgraded items. After seeing the how much they were I decided I could probably achieve the same outcome for less outlay, so here is my attempt on poly busing my own gearbox mount...

First of all I had to make a template / container to be able to pour the polyurethane rubber into. I did this by cutting up a plastic cup and then sealing it using RTV silicone.
103826-85057ae47bb0b3dcb612eefbaa7636a0.jpg

Once that was dry and I was sure it was water tight (it wasn't first time round) I then mixed up the polyurethane rubber which come in two parts and needs to be mixed 50 / 50 by weight.
20160214_142450_HDR.jpg
It's then poured in to the mould (It only has a 5 minute working time so no time to waste!) and left for 2 hours before it can be removed.
When I removed it it looked a little bit sloppy (Did I mention you've got to be quick when pouring it).
20160214_162822_HDR.jpg
But once trimmed I think it came out OK for a first attempt.
20160214_164211_HDR.jpg
All I have to do now is wait 7 days for it to cure fully and then it's straight on to the car, hopefully with some improvement.

Sorry for the long first post but thought at least 1 person may be interested.

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

• 20160214_130421_HDR.jpg
    20160214_130421_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 633
  Flame Red Ph2 172
I got the materials from a Fibreglass supplies company, the product some in 5 different hardness ratings Shore 85A / 70A / 60A / 50A / 20A.

I've made my one from 85A - which is between the Powerflex purple (80A) and black (95A) bushes so should be a good test.
Ideally I need to put the bush in to a degassing chamber to remove all of the bubbles before it cures but I wanted to prove the concept before splashing out on any equipment.

Flame Red Ph2 172
Finished pouring the engine mount and now just waiting for it to cure, I think it turned out better than the gearbox mount.
20160216_084840_HDR.jpg
Hopefully they'll make a big improvment once finally on the car!

Flame Red Ph2 172
Finally got both the mounts installed.
Installed.jpg

It has eliminated all movement of the engine under no load and seems to have helped with the response of the car.
There is now much more whine being transmitted through to the cabin from the gearbox and also A LOT of vibrations. I've only done 10 miles since fitting so hopefully they'll settle down once i've got some more miles on them.

Last edited:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great post and will be useful for beefing up exhaust mounts :)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@Bbrooks , That looks really interesting and was wondering if you could use the same technique for making polybushed exhaust mounts .
Any chance you could link to where you bought the kit.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work, Ive literally just done the same this week with some mount for my Megane, Using what looks like the same stuff that you used.

I may of went a bit hard though, I get some epic vibrations and noises along with transmission whine now LOL

Ex 182 owner
If you could knock out working exhaust mounts I bet 95% of the forum would be interested.

From what I gather those that have fitted the polybush insert have found its too rigid and snaps the exhaust hangers. So basically just beefing up a standard one. Excuse my ignorance but could you pour it around the rubbers one a standard one?

Flame Red Ph2 172
@Bbrooks , That looks really interesting and was wondering if you could use the same technique for making polybushed exhaust mounts .
Any chance you could link to where you bought the kit.

Making exhaust mounts is next on my list so i'll post up progress on htis once I start. This is the kit I used http://www.mbfg.co.uk/polyurethane-rubbers/pt-flex-85-rubber.html

Nice work, Ive literally just done the same this week with some mount for my Megane, Using what looks like the same stuff that you used.

I may of went a bit hard though, I get some epic vibrations and noises along with transmission whine now LOL

It's definitely way too hard for a daily! If it was a daily i'd use a much softer rubber, that way I'd get to keep my fillings LOL.

If you could knock out working exhaust mounts I bet 95% of the forum would be interested.

From what I gather those that have fitted the polybush insert have found its too rigid and snaps the exhaust hangers. So basically just beefing up a standard one. Excuse my ignorance but could you pour it around the rubbers one a standard one?

Yep, should be able to just pour a reinfocment layer around the existing mount to help beef them up a bit.