ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DIY re-furbs

V

valver pete

Thinking about some black turbines for the winter, anyone done these themselves? Pics/tips would be mighty handy!

S13
I've done some not got any pics though :(

Just go easy, leave plenty of time between layers and spray lightly so you don't get pools of paint.

JLO's done some and his are spot on paintwork wise, sure he'll be along soon.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
This is how i refurbed a badly kerbed alloy .

Process :

Cleaned wheel with AG Engine and machine cleaner . Washed then dried .

Filled all the scratches with Upol D Metallic filler .

http://www.paints4u.com/productsbyC...inSelection=2&SubCategoryID=10&Subselection=4

Wet n dry 320 grit .

Primed and sanded 320 grit , not too smooth so the top coat would key to the primer .

I couldn't find any local motor factors who could make up the the anthracite paint , not even Renault could supply it or new anyone who could . Thanks Renault ;)

Got the local motor factor to make up some Rover storm grey with a touch more red in it .

A couple of thin coats of storm grey then 1500 grit wet n dry . Then final couple of coats and left to dry for 24 hours .

3 coats of clear , 2000 grit wet n dry . Washed , then polished with Meguiars scratch X .With the lacquer if you put it on too thick it will run and can look a bit cloudy , too thin and you'll end up with a slightly matt finish . Its a bit of trial and error but easy once you get used to it .

Some pics :

pic13-1.jpg

pic1Small.jpg

pic4Small.jpg

pic3Small.jpg

pic6Small.jpg

pic8Small.jpg

pic7Small.jpg

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Thb mate i can't remember if the wheel in the last pic has lacquer on or not as i did it a few months ago but the light in my shed isn't the best for taking pics . I can assure you that the finished article does have a good lacquered finish

V

valver pete

Yeah nice one. Going for black turbines once i get hold of a set.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I just used aerosols knocked up by my local bodyshop suppliers . They seem to have a better nozzle on them than the ones you get at Halfords etc... , it had a slightly wider spray pattern rather concentrated in one spot like your bog standard aerosols which i think helped to get a more even coverage .

Clio 172 mk2
That's a good job

I'd like to get mine done but don't think I have the patience to do it myself.