ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do big bore exhausts make a difference ?

Stripped yozza'd cup
No, a big exhaust will make no difference whatsoever. Very very few cars have an exhaust system that restricts the gas flow. The only thing that will make a difference to gas flow is manifold and decat on 99% of cars.

ITB'd MK1
sigh

Clios are fairly unusual as far as N/A goes in that they do like a quite large exhaust. Not over the top, but 2.5 inch is worthwhile for best power. You obviously have a potential noise issue with this though so striking a balance is important.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Its usually only charged cars which need a big exhaust bore to get rid of the large back pressure from the Tuuuuurboooooo

Listerine & Poledo
they do make your car sound permanently like it's about to break down though, which some people seem to like?

Listerine & Poledo
It will make all around you think "christ, he needs to get that fixed"

Last edited:
  2002 Clio Expression
This is a big question that is asked all the time, exhaust diameters change more than just the audio of your vehicle...

Different theory’s you need to take in account and research into such as;

• Back pressure
  • Exhaust pulses
  • Fume exhaustion
Turbo or naturally aspirated, exhausts do pay a big involvement in the intake and exhaust of the engine. I know I must sound mad talking about intake but during the valve overlap scavenging occurs where by the vortex of air draws more air into the cylinder via the inlet...

For turbo vehicles you need to think heavily think about your turbo setup & waste gate management and the correlation to your exhaust diameter...

:D

*I just hate hearing at night this really loud exhaust and people not understanding they are decreasing the performance of the car purely for audio...

Megane RS 250
I work at an exhaust company and we do a lot of R&D on different type of cars.
Usually we remove the OEM cat, on recent cars it's placed very close to the engine to warmup up quickly and pass euro4/5 reg. We use a downpipe or a manifold without the cat and we place a sports cat downstream, under the car.

Just this usually brings a consistent gain, especially at high revs. On turbo cars the boost pressure increases a bit (if the ECU doesn't limit this) and the spool up time is reduced.
The downpipe is often 70 or even 80 mm in diameter, but it gets smaller at the cat, and sometimes even smaller at the centre/rear exhaust.
For the Golf GTI we use a 80 mm downpipe, a 70 mm cat and a 65mm muffler.

For NA cars it's even more complex, you have to consider primary and secondary pipes, lenght of pipes...the clio manifold, especially the 182 one, is VERY good.
I wasn't at the company at the time but they tried to make a better one but it was useless.
In the end we used a 200cpsi HJS sports cat and a 60mm exhaust (58, 65 and even 70 were tested).

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
really for normally aspirated engines all the exhaust has to do is maintain a high gas velocity with minimum backpressure, while providing adequate silencing. All pulse tuning is done in the manifold. Sounds easy right :D
I've not seen any rolling road graphs for 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" exhaust systems on these engines to see how they compare but as a generalistic rule of thumb I would expect the smaller diameter to see gains on the mid range while the bigger bore sees top end gains due to the optimisation of gas velocity at different revs. Has anyone done a back to back comparison? Fred may have when developing the yozzasport as they offer two different bores.

Megane RS 250
We should have the graphs of the Clio 172 and 182 on paper, with backpressure data too. I'll give a look next week. We made some 63,5 and 70 mm racing systems as well as the 60mm road system...