ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

do i need a jack

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
if i am painting my brake calipers, im gettng hammerite smooth piant, what do i prep it with just sandpaper, anything else

also what is best to lift car up with, do i need to buy a proprt trolley jack thingy?

ST
To be honest if you pick up some brake cleaner in an aerosol and a wire brush that'll be cool before painting mate....well thats what i did when i painted the calipers on my dynamique with smooth red hammerite...its now my brothers car and the paint on the calipers is still going strong no fading or cracking 2 years on.

A trolley jack and axle stands is your best bet as you'll need to leave wheel off for a good 24 hours to make sure the paint has dried properly as you dont want paint spattering all round the inside of your wheels....better safe than sorry..

1.6 focus zetec....
2 slow^^^

A wire brush would be better than sandpaper and then wipe it over with a cloth!!

A trolley jack would be good but a normal jack would be fine!!

Bare in mind you need about 4 coats of this hammerite as the smooth is quite thin!!

Kiza

Last edited:
Best off buying a proper jack and axle stands.
There a guie on jacking points etc in the guides forum. You cna get a jack and stand for £20 I think now from Argos.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
nice ill get a trolley jack and whats a good brake cleaner? cheers

1.6 focus zetec....
No worries alan...i should be a litter quicker :clown: I didnt use any brake cleaner, just a wire brush and cloth....came up superb!! I also got the hammered look which as come up wicked!!

True john...the normal jack is s**t and very hard to wind up!! Why dont car makers just chuck a trolley jack in the boot??

Kiza

ST
kiza1986 said:
No worries alan...i should be a litter quicker :clown: I didnt use any brake cleaner, just a wire brush and cloth....came up superb!! I also got the hammered look which as come up wicked!!

True john...the normal jack is sh*t and very hard to wind up!! Why dont car makers just chuck a trolley jack in the boot??

Kiza

Everthing is built to a price mate..also space is a big factor when making up a tool kit for a car too.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
if im jacking it up and putting axle stand, does it have to be fully flat, coz my drive has a slight incline on it, :quiet:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Don't forget to put a bit of wood under the stands bud, stops it markin your drive. Get your dad to paint the calipers, same paint as the mini!!;)