ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Brembo calipers rebuild- HELP! :(

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
So I just swapped the brackets left to right aaaand...
Still the same. I'm not touching it anymore (not with my own hands that is), I'm done for now. I'll see what the mechanics have to say.
I may have a noisy wheel bearing on the right side but I'm not sure, could be tyre noise? (Nankang ns2r in 16" size).
With the car lifted up the front wheels spin freely without distinctive bearing noise. Don't really think a lightly noisy bearing could cause this much squealing tbh.
I'll ask the mechanics to swap the rotors too, just for the sake of doing this. We'll see

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I'd shove some £20 brembo pads in and see if it improves
I did that the first time I ran the calipers. I had some new Valeo OE pads that came with the purchase. They did the exact same noise, which is kinda odd considering it's a different material to the ds2500.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
I'd switch the pads left to right now personally. Will only take you 15 mins.
Process of elimination (y)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
So it's only when on the brakes? Sounds like any performance pad.

Retry the cheaper pads if you still have them and get them hot.
Yeah only when light to moderate pedal pressure. If I get them hotter they squeak on hight pedal pressure also
Sounds like a performance pad yeah BUT-
-It only does it on the right side and it's LOUD
-Swapping pads will do nothing I'm 1000% sure and I'm not wasting any time with this as it's clearly a local problem, otherwise the left side would squeak too, maybe not as loud but still...
-I had various "performance pads" in the past- DS2500, EBC yellowstuff, ferodo DS performance. None of them used to squeak (std calipers though but still)
There are some blokes here that never had any noises with the 2500 pads on these brembo calipers
I'm slowly inclined to think it's the caliper itself at fault. I'll see what the guys at the garrage have to say about it

Udder Nonce

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah only when light to moderate pedal pressure. If I get them hotter they squeak on hight pedal pressure also
Sounds like a performance pad yeah BUT-
-It only does it on the right side and it's LOUD
-Swapping pads will do nothing I'm 1000% sure and I'm not wasting any time with this as it's clearly a local problem, otherwise the left side would squeak too, maybe not as loud but still...
-I had various "performance pads" in the past- DS2500, EBC yellowstuff, ferodo DS performance. None of them used to squeak (std calipers though but still)
There are some blokes here that never had any noises with the 2500 pads on these brembo calipers
I'm slowly inclined to think it's the caliper itself at fault. I'll see what the guys at the garrage have to say about it
I ran ds1.11s for a short while and they sounded identical. Swapped to brembo pads and the problem disappeared.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Never had DS2500 squealing, used them on a few cars with single piston, 4 piston and 6 piston callipers. With and without shims.

Have the callipers been machined correctly so that they sit in the correct position on the discs?
reminder^ there are some people that never experienced any nois on ds2500 pads, me included
I can expect some noise and seen noisy pads on other cars but not that loud and not on one side only.
I say it again- it did it on normal pads also, only on one side and no I'm not gonna buy 3 brands of cheap pads to confirm that, as I already ran the Valeo's

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I ran ds1.11s for a short while and they sounded identical. Swapped to brembo pads and the problem disappeared.
DS1.11 are even more track oriented but did the noise came only from one side? if not I'm afraid it's not helping me :(

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
These are the Valeo pads I ran before, they have a backing plate and are chamfered on the edges. None of that helped as I said, exact same noise, exact same side.

Attachments

• 20240618_111457.jpg
    20240618_111457.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240618_111505.jpg
    20240618_111505.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 9

Udder Nonce

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I don't know what to suggest unfortunately. If you're adamant it's not the pads, and they're free to move evenly on the pins it can only be misalignment of the calipers from the brackets.

I'd expect the tolerance on the pad and pin to mitigate this though unless it'd VERY bad.

You could chuck some paint on the pad and go for a couple of stops down the road and look for even wear. I'd not suggest it on expensive pads, or for long term.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I don't know what to suggest unfortunately. If you're adamant it's not the pads, and they're free to move evenly on the pins it can only be misalignment of the calipers from the brackets.

I'd expect the tolerance on the pad and pin to mitigate this though unless it'd VERY bad.

You could chuck some paint on the pad and go for a couple of stops down the road and look for even wear. I'd not suggest it on expensive pads, or for long term.
Last night when I spapped the brackets I measured the alignment and on the right side thre seemed like half a mm of gap difference measured between the top and bottom bracket. I had a eureka moment and gladly swapped the brackets left to right, measured the left ones that I now installed on the right side and they were spot on.
The result is the same- squeak. I didn't even bothered to detail this as it made me very angry, I had expectations it will solve the problem but nope.
Pads move freely, I checked this everytime I worked on the calipers
I may try the paint trick on the Valeo pads and see, thx for the tip :)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Also listened to the vid and sounds normal for ferodo/track pads, especially from cold as not up to optimal temp.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Also listened to the vid and sounds normal for ferodo/track pads, especially from cold as not up to optimal temp.
When they're up to temp they scream even worse. I can live with some noise but trust me, real life is way worse than in the video. Also, being on one side points out to a problem. Will swap discs and pads altogether for sure. (although I bet my house it will be the same but have to check that also)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
If I were to snap my fingers I'd put back the OE pads and show that the are just as noisy. Track or no track pad it is the same.