ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do I need a washer for the 197mc on 182? (m12 to m10 converter)

Stupid question but Im just not sure. I have a 197 mc and an m12 male to m10 female brass adapter for the conversion, is there suppose to be a gap and it becomes flushed/tight within the bottom of the mc bolt hole?

Anyone? Just about to do this

IMG_5075.jpg

Clio Sport 182
Anyone? Just about to do this

View attachment 1344328
I would have thought the adaptor would seat into the bottom of the M12 hole like the original brake line. Did the adaptor have a taper on the m12 male end and does the M10 female have a taper at the bottom for the brake line flare to seat into? - something like the attached. If so you should be fine.
3f51fc01e3d0e8385636cb9c2cae179f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Camsmyth

Thanks mate. male end is not tapered, though female end is

IMG_5080.jpg

Now I can do the adapter up pretty tight though and it wont budge, but Im just paranoid that it will either come loose or bugger up the inside of the mc if done up to much

I dont like to do these things on the car without having complete belief in what im doing, even if its silly things

Clio Sport 182
@Camsmyth

Thanks mate. male end is not tapered, though female end is

View attachment 1344365

Now I can do the adapter up pretty tight though and it wont budge, but Im just paranoid that it will either come loose or bugger up the inside of the mc if done up to much

I dont like to do these things on the car without having complete belief in what im doing, even if its silly things
Unless it is going to seal at the bottom it won't matter how tight it is - hard to tell without seeing it. You could try a washer but the application is not strictly designed for it. You may need to shorten the adaptor to make sure the washer is sandwiched enough (obviously needs to be some sort of squash/seal washer). Good luck.

is it just the pic or is that a tapered thread?

You know after looking again I think there is, just really minute. Ive been delaying fitting this for ages now, first if never arrived then ordered from another comp, then bought the adapter and blanking bolts (for bleed) each week something new instead of just getting it done straight away. Just gonna put it on tomorrow and see from there, im just overly cautious, dont really want to die :grimacing:

@bloke

It does. I think i have answered my own question as the adapter does flush via the slightly wider tapered end rather than in the bottom of the mc. Was just not apparent it was!

Clio Sport 182
@bloke

It does. I think i have answered my own question as the adapter does flush via the slightly wider tapered end rather than in the bottom of the mc. Was just not apparent it was!
In that case as long as the taper is working before it bottoms out you'll probably be ok. I normally use sealant on tapered threads and find they degrade if you remove/refit too many times.

Have swapped it over and bled the system, I bench bled the mc before hand. Theres no pressure when engine on now, but when i brake theres like this small surging clunking feeling going on. Cars up on stands and the brakes do stop, but zero pressure and the clunking

I guess theres just loads of air in the system? Or could it be something else?

Bled 2 litres through just now with pressure bleeder and with engine on. Maybe 10% firmer when engine off. When on if i brake slowly it's smooth, faster it's notchy. Abs and esp lights are now on. I take it there's air in abs pump, but if i keep pressure bleeding with engine on will it help? It can't be driven so cant fire up the abs. Just had a knee steroid injection so crawling around on the floor isn't the best idea

I think the doctor gave me the wrong steroids because ive just gone out to my car and ripped the whole abs unit out with my bare hands and beaten it to a pulp like a gorilla. Needless to say Im just gonna get a 4 port 197mc and full braided lines setup now, something Ive had in mind anyway. This bleeding is just a waste of time and money and could be done with zero hassle without the abs pump