ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do i tell insurance they have got my details wrong before taking out a policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  a burnt one
Okay so, it's renewal time and ive been on a comparison site that has reduced my premium by a whopping £150 but when i entered my registration details they have my car listed as the Golf 115 GTTDI which it isnt, it's the more powerful model.

This is with tesco compare with an insurer i have not heard of but i have the option to buy online unlike many where you still have to phone and the price you see is not what you pay.

Do i phone anyway and amend THEIR mistake or play dumb and pretend i never noticed in the first place?

Or do i go back to my original insurer and see if they will match it?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Insurance works on declaration of truth. When you sign the paperwork they'll send you are confirming the details. Wrong car, they could quite easily refuse a pay-out.

a burnt one
I know all this, but really, theres nothing stating my car is not the model they described, i only know what it is because of the engine code, my log bok for example doesnt state what model it is.

I could be a 'none-the-wiser' woman for example, who takes out this policy then crashes, the mistake only comes to light when it's in for repair and they use the engine code etc for parts, surely they will not void the policy for their mistake.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Tell them, not worth the risk.

What would you rather do, pay a tiny bit more perhaps or risk end up having a crash & getting no money back? Or even getting sued?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
brings pikeyness to all new levels. All this dishonesty and fraud is what is wrong with this country.

Just pay the insurance correct for your car. What goes around comes around.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You might not think they would refuse but they would be perfectly within their rights not too. As it was described to me, ignorance is not a valid excuse. Its your responsibility to ensure the details are correct, not theirs.

a black one
If you are not fussed whether insurers pay out after accident or theft then fine, don't tell them. Because, trust me they WON'T pay if the documentation is wrong.
My car was stolen and written off a couple of years ago, and the bloody insurance company victimised me. Eventually they did pay after 3 months and several visits to my house for upto 3 hours worth of questioning. Anyone would think that I was the one committing the crime.
Just tell them mate otherwise you'll probably live to regret it. Insurance companies look for loopholes.

Barge
You'll be bent over and lubed up if you crash and they refuse to pay out. Honesty is the best policy, as they say!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Insurance companies have null and voided for less matey.

This is one of the reasons im paying so much to insure my car (not suggesting for a minute the onus lies souley on you, but your contributing to the problem:eek:)

Just tell them mate

Audi TT
As said above the onus is on you to check the details provided by them......

however I've dealt with an RTC where a person had used online insurance and they had his car listed as something entirely different from his registration. They still said they would honour the insurance for the collision which shocked me a lot. Saying it on the phone is one thing I guess but certainly looked that way.

Karma and what comes around etc as stated though.....

Elise S1 B&C 140
Tell them mate. My car comes up as a 1.2 dynamique for some reason on some of the insurance websites. I wouldnt dream of not telling them its a 172.

Megane Mk4
While your at it he could add his elderly 80 year old grandad who, learned himself to drive before licenses ever existed so he doesn't properly know the highway code about roundabouts and motorway driving. But it's ok, he's been driving for so long that he doesn't need teaching. But it's cool as he only has an average accident rate of 4 per year.. In car parks.. Not even getting out to check the vehicle he hit for damage.. While looking at his beloved elderly, diabetic, old grandma with Glaucoma.

Best not say anything eh? ;)

BMW E46 330i Touring
For the sake of an absolute minimal price hike (what, one insurance group difference?) declare it.

M2 / Golf GTI
Lol, not insuring mods is one thing, insuring a different car because its cheaper is another. Really don't understand your thinking here.

Funny how it works though... My car comes up as a Williams Clio with some Insurers, which for the record is just £20 less than the 182.

a burnt one
brings pikeyness to all new levels. All this dishonesty and fraud is what is wrong with this country.

Just pay the insurance correct for your car. What goes around comes around.

Nah I wouldnt bother... why not insure it in someone else's name to make it even cheaper?

I'd insure it in an elderley relatives name, and have the annual mileage as 1k.

sound advice there from Warren! :approve:

flol, blatant fraud!

Indeed. Elderly, diabetic, old ladies with Glaucoma have an excellent safety record behind the wheel.

While your at it he could add his elderly 80 year old grandad who, learned himself to drive before licenses ever existed so he doesn't properly know the highway code about roundabouts and motorway driving. But it's ok, he's been driving for so long that he doesn't need teaching. But it's cool as he only has an average accident rate of 4 per year.. In car parks.. Not even getting out to check the vehicle he hit for damage.. While looking at his beloved elderly, diabetic, old grandma with Glaucoma.

Best not say anything eh? ;)

Lol, not insuring mods is one thing, insuring a different car because its cheaper is another. Really don't understand your thinking here.

Ok, someone please advise the point in an insurance section when a question is met with such f**king stupid replys.

I asked for a bit advise, not a frigging slating, as for being a pikey get a bloody grip man, it's not like i'm running about uninsured.

Next time il just post asking wheteher my wheels look better black or a slightly lighter black then follow that up with a 9 pager on the consistency of my last turd, should go down a whole lot better than this thread me thinks.

200 FF Storm Grey
I personally would leave it quiet, if you was ever too be pulled a copper owuldnt have a way of telling what BHP it is, plus if you had an acciddent all the examiner would have is 'Golf GT TDI' which yours is. If worst happens and they do find out well you've told them the reg, its a golf gt tdi like it says it is, you're not into cars so how the balls you expected to know what bhp its pushing? :p

Iceberg 172
As said [in one of the few useful replies] above, ignorance is not a defence when it comes to insurance. IF they realise, they would be well within their rights to use it to squirm out of paying. How big a chance the 'IF' is, no-one knows - that's the risk you take.

My personal opinion is that the extra premium required to insure it properly would be negligible vs the risk.

Iceberg 172
And in defence of the silly replies, the sarcasm is just a way of expressing how obvious the answer is to your question. Of course you should insure it properly, it's a no brainer.

a burnt one
Thankyou!

According to some i have already committed the crime of the century and should have already been hung drawn and quartered for even asking the question, im a fraudster and a pikey for merely asking advice, ffs it's a golf i'm insuring, not a transit van with a trailer full of stolen goods.

Megane Mk4
Ok, someone please advise the point in an insurance section when a question is met with such f**king stupid replys.

I asked for a bit advise, not a frigging slating, as for being a pikey get a bloody grip man, it's not like i'm running about uninsured.

Next time il just post asking wheteher my wheels look better black or a slightly lighter black then follow that up with a 9 pager on the consistency of my last turd, should go down a whole lot better than this thread me thinks.
The issue isn't about stupid replies, the issue is that you've been given an insurance quote for a car that doesn't potentially exist and, if you enter into that agreement with an insurance company about the vehicle details being wrong, your knowingly committing insurance fraud.

So, I hope for your sake when you do commit to the insurance quote knowing it's wrong, you don't have an accident involving a third party or personally injury while driving said car, as you will be paying insurance for nothing, as you will get nothing in return from it.

Oh, and another note.. You'd be surprised at how many civil servants (i.e. Police) and insurance companies now view threads on public forums, so for your sake, best hope the company concerned don't read this either as you've openly admitted the information on their database is wrong.

So bear that in mind when adding your grandparents ;)

a burnt one
The issue isn't about stupid replies, the issue is that you've been given an insurance quote for a car that doesn't potentially exist and, if you enter into that agreement with an insurance company about the vehicle details being wrong, your knowingly committing insurance fraud.

Which is my point here about the replies, you have assumed i have commited fraud by merely asking advice

So, I hope for your sake when you do commit to the insurance You have again assumed quote knowing it's wrong, you don't have an accident involving a third party or personally injury while driving said car, as you will be paying insurance for nothing, as you will get nothing in return from it.

Oh, and another note.. You'd be surprised at how many civil servants (i.e. Police) and insurance companies now view threads on public forums would i?, so for your sake, best hope the company concerned don't read this either as you've openly admitted the information on their database is wrong.

Which surely is reason to hope they do read it then?

So bear that in mind when adding your grandparents ;) WTF??

The issue Andi is now the replies, i asked for advise not to be labelled a fraudster and a pikey, least of all from people in a position of responsibility on the forum who really should know better.

Yes, IF I TOOK OUT THE POLICY I'D BE COMMITING FRAUD the key word there being if!

Yes, i knew the details were wrong but how many people know the engine code of their car, how many then are commiting fraud through similar mistakes?

For the record i have no grandparents so if you have any other fraudulent methods of cheap insurance they would be greatly appreciated.

And if the police and insurers are reading this i'd like to think they have more sense than most who posted and realise i posed a question, not an admission of guilt.

Megane Mk4
The issue Andi is now the replies, i asked for advise not to be labelled a fraudster and a pikey, least of all from people in a position of responsibility on the forum who really should know better.

Yes, IF I TOOK OUT THE POLICY I'D BE COMMITING FRAUD the key word there being if!
Have I labelled or called you either a pikey or fraudster? No, I was merely expressing the what would happen IF you enter into the agreement. As for the green username, I'm entitled to my opinion just like everyone else. If you have a problem with that then there is a report post function at the side of my posts just like everyone else, Admin and the other moderators will look into it and I will sit on the fence while they make a decision on my own personal opinionated posts.

Yes, i knew the details were wrong but how many people know the engine code of their car, how many then are commiting fraud through similar mistakes?
For the record, I would suspect not a lot would, but you've openly admitted you know the details on the insurance database are wrong.

For the record i have no grandparents so if you have any other fraudulent methods of cheap insurance they would be greatly appreciated.
Niether have I, both sets of my grandparents are dead too, I did consider zoo animals, but the thought of a zebra driving a car would make me want to stop and expect someone to cross the road every 5 seconds. (That is a sarcastic joke btw, not all of my postings are serious hence this emote here > ;) )

And if the police and insurers are reading this i'd like to think they have more sense than most who posted and realise i posed a question, not an admission of guilt.
Who said anything about guilt? Perhaps You should re-read my posts. I merely stated the obvious. If you are to enter into an insurance agreement quote which is knowlingly false or untrue, you are committing fraud, I didn't say you were 'already' doing so, I said 'when' you do.

Its not the crime of the century :s

He's put in his registration number which relates to his car. The website obviously is not taking the data from the DVLA database as the DVLA will hold all the correct data about the car.

The way i see it is, if he crashes, the insurance matches up to the registration number of the car plus any modifications made to the car that have been declared. The slight difference in the model number on the quote website won't make any difference as it is just a quick search to display the type of car you are trying to insure

Obviously if your trying to insure a Renault Clio and it comes up Range Rover or something completely different then that's a different story

a burnt one
Quick update, phoned yesterday(which TBH i probably would have done anyway) afternoon and the price remains the same.

None the less a big thanks to all the independent CS Insurance brokers for such valued advice and completely irrelevant and nonsensical posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.