ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you declare your 3/4 plate to your insurance ?

Thinking of getting a new set of plates made with a 3/4 front and I do declare all my mods.

As 3/4 plates aren't legal how do you get on declaring them ?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Driven various cars around for years with illegal plates (don't worry I don't mean with shitty fonts!) and never declared them and never had any problem from police :) passed all MOT's etc.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I did the velcro trick with both my illegally spaced personal plate (but full size letters), and my wifes slighty tweaked personal plate. (Both have a legal set in boot ready to swap) But we have never needed to (Shes had hers for 8 years, Ive had mine for 6).
They only time the the velcro causes problems is when its REALLY hot and the self adhesive backing becomes tacky and can slide.

I did get caught on speed camera and to add to the pain, they also fined me for the illegal spacing (11mm between numbers and letters instead of 33mm) :O

My wife had someone crash in to her (she stopped for a police car on blues and the person behind didnt.) The police had to stop (obliged to) - and they were more concerned with her plates than the knob who'd gone in to the back of her! She played the innocent woman and they never took it further but did warn her to get new ones.

When I went to put my shorter ones on the Clio they looked silly with the recess being made for full size so I just put normal ones on.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
If you get asked to remove it by the police do it first time lol.

I got caught, was polite and played the innocent so got away with it so decided not to swap them like I promised and around 1 month later exact same copper passed me and saw the same 3/4 plate. Wasn't so lucky this time and ended up with a £60 fine coming through the post as he said they no longer deal with them at the side of the road.