ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you have IPV6?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't worry, it's years off proper implementation. We've barely got any IPV6 stuff within our business network, just enough to make DirectAccess work (with ISATAP routers.. proving MS wrong ftw)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
How many years has IPv6 been coming out for now?

The entire time I've been in IT it's been coming soon (that's 9 years). It's not too far off now, but it means nothing to Joe Public and shouldn't affect them in any way, shape or form; aside from their new smartfridge actually being able to connect to the internet.

It's a f**king ballache to us network monkeys though :(

Clio 1.2
The entire time I've been in IT it's been coming soon (that's 9 years). It's not too far off now, but it means nothing to Joe Public and shouldn't affect them in any way, shape or form; aside from their new smartfridge actually being able to connect to the internet.

It's a f**king ballache to us network monkeys though :(

I want to get into networking for a Job, I'll be going to Uni to do Computer Networks next year. Is it decent money in that field? it seems it.

Also this seems like a pain is the ass for the gaming world. Instead of connecting to a nice simple IP, you have to connect to 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf -.-

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I want to get into networking for a Job, I'll be going to Uni to do Computer Networks next year. Is it decent money in that field? it seems it.

Also this seems like a pain is the ass for the gaming world. Instead of connecting to a nice simple IP, you have to connect to 3ffe:1900:4545:3:200:f8ff:fe21:67cf -.-

Re: decent money - Eventually, but not to begin with. Like everything you have to work to get the decent money, doesn't just appear. You soon start remembering the IPV6 IPs if you have to.. I've got 10 memorised so far, heh.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I remember being at a Qualys conference a few years ago and them talking about the problems IPV6 brings with regards to network scanning.

At the moment you can just set it off and say scan every possible IP within the network as it can be done in a reasonable time with IPV4, but not IPV6, so needs a total rethink of how that sort of system is done. Rather them than me, but they are a clever bunch :)

BMW F21 125d
The thing that has delayed IPv6 so much is NAT.
I wouldn't worry too much anyway as with tunnelling etc IPv4 and 6 can run in parallel on a WAN or LAN.
It's an utter ball ache to configure. Multi address per interface, what was wrong with 192.168.1.1 :)