ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do you think it was worth modifying your car?

Clio 1.4 16v Billabong
Alright people i am bit confused :S

Well this is my problem I want to do modify my Clio 1.4 16v, but i'm not sure if i should just leave it and get a new car in a few years.

See I have decided that my next car will be Japanese. An i wont be able to afford what i want for another 2 years or so (until my wage gets better as it is v poor at the mo), so i was woundering what people think?

Would you save up, or would you do things to your car?

An what would you do to the car if you chose this option?

Last edited:
  Evo 6, E92 320d
depends, if u just want to drive it then dont do anything major, but if u want to enjoy it just do watever u want to it, bearing in mind the resale value

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think modifying is good. To an extent.

Lowering, Wheels, IK etc are good, but i think Big sound systems, bodykits and other MAXPOWER type stuff is a complete load of pish.

D

dick

read a lot of threads on here, people wishing didnt mod it, thers a lesson to othres.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
ive spent £££ on cars when i was younger (now 25) and wish i'd just kept them standard. i could have had bigger and faster cars much quicker if i'd not spent the cash on the smaller slower ones.

save the cash imo

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
True but if your guna keep it for couple years id just do some small mods like wheels and maybe an exhaust.

Punto/Clio GTT
just modify it how you like mate, you got it for 2 years or so so just do small stuff, colour coding, wheels, lowering etc

visualize whirled pe
Sainsbury's are doing a savings account at 6% whack some money in that every month or an ISA if you havent already got one.
Some accounts offer even better rates but you must place a certain amount into the account by direct debit every month for 1 year to gain the higher percentage.

I'd stick with it as it is. If you are set on making your car look different set yourself a limit to what you want to spend.
Choose things that can be sold seperate to the car when you have finished with it and removed. If possible buy second hand parts (off here maybe).
Dont spend money trying to make it fast.

Wheels
Little interior bits (RS gear knob) (upgrade the speakers??)
Clear indicators.
Include the increase in premium for what you have done in the insurance to your budget.

Do each mod over a period of time.

Now the next 2 years will seem a little more interesting with a few small changes but you'll know you will be saving cash all the time.
You never know, in 2 years you might want that new car and you'll have a decent amount of savings.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
my next car will be staying standard apart from wheels most likely ive had my fill of modded cars

Clio 1.4 16v Billabong
Thanks people i am still confused might do the small mods as people said.

I was just confused as i dont want to loose too much money on the car but i wouldnt mind it being unique.

What parts can be easily change, other than the obviouse such as alloys i mean is it easy to drop the car and change it back at a later date?

Clio 1.4 16v Billabong
I think modifying is good. To an extent.

Lowering, Wheels, IK etc are good, but i think Big sound systems, bodykits and other MAXPOWER type stuff is a complete load of pish.

Hey i read MAXPOWER, its not as chavy as it used to be thank god!

But i do agree big sound systems and bodykits are not to my liking!

I like cars to be unique yet sleek!

FOR SALE!!!
one thing tho if you do mod your car just make sure everythink you do can be taken off then you should not loose to much money on it and can resale the parts on but if you go messing around with stuf which cant be undo then it limits who you can sale ya car to i enjoy having a diffrent car from the crowed but hey that just me

Monaco 172
i only ever modified my 02 clio. so much hassle puttin it back to standard and all that. now got the 172 and havent touched it at all, looks the nuts as standard with antracite wheels anyway imo! but personal choice really. just wouldnt go overboard!

185lb/ft dCi
i'm modding mine as i am goin to have it till it dies probably. Starting uni in september for 4 years so im gonna be broke for a while. But i am only doing sensible mods and that I can sell on afterwards. Not some silly bodykit for about a grand!

3 years, about 3.5k and she looks like this (from an expression, so no fogs, spoiler, decent seats, alloys etc etc)

combine04

clio%20meets

clio%20meets

and no in the long run it is not bloody well worth it :(

i love my car, dont get me wrong, im 20 and have 0NCB due to being on dads insurance etc so couldnt afford a bigger engine.

jamie

Leon Cupra R 225
to an extent. if it makes you smile. but excessive(when people spend thousands is a bit daft imo)

why not just buy a better car from day one?! :S

Clio 1.4 16v Billabong
to an extent. if it makes you smile. but excessive(when people spend thousands is a bit daft imo)

I couldn't really afford anything better i couldn't actually afford what i bought i just needed a car saw it an fell for it!

I also fell for a cup that was sat there but couldnt afford that :(

I had to get a new car as the old banger i had was falling to pieces.

Thanks for the tips people!

Clio 1.4 16v Billabong
3 years, about 3.5k and she looks like this (from an expression, so no fogs, spoiler, decent seats, alloys etc etc)

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/?action=view&current=DSC_0004.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/clio meets/?action=view&current=DSC04117.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/clio meets/?action=view&current=DSC04092.jpg

i love my car, dont get me wrong, im 20 and have 0NCB due to being on dads insurance etc so couldnt afford a bigger engine.

jamie

I think your car is really nice, what engine size is it?

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
I was once told about three years ago, you can't polish a turd, if you want a nice buy a nice car standard!

Don't know if it means anything to anyone else but I can see the logic in there.

Shed.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/?action=view&current=DSC_0004.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/clio meets/?action=view&current=DSC04117.jpg

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/combine04/clio meets/?action=view&current=DSC04092.jpg

jamie

Yeah. im wondering if i should stay on pa's and get it cheap untill when im 20 ill be able to get insured on a 172 reasonably well. or go by myself now and get totally ass raped.

Shed.

this kid at college bought a 1.1 saxo. he claimed against an injury and he got a rarther large sum. so he got the car, paid the insurance and used the rest on small mods such as intaske kits and stupid lights, cd player, uprated speakers etc etc.