ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laguna hubs on the Clio Williams

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
MK1 scenic not sure if ph1 or ph2 makes a difference. I'm sure ruanova would clarify.

Yeah makes the track 13cm wider on the MK1 Clio.

And is a straight swap? I think that with the 172 stub axles and stub axle spacers might even be too wide

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Scenic rear hubs are different fitment to 1*2 but can grind the beam to fit. I fit scenic hubs on a 1*2 beam..

I'm adapting the mk1 clio rear beam for the 1*2 stub axles anyway, just need to re drill the 4 holes as far as I can see. Hopefully it's the same for the scenic rear

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I'm adapting the mk1 clio rear beam for the 1*2 stub axles anyway, just need to re drill the 4 holes as far as I can see. Hopefully it's the same for the scenic rear
You will need to grind the 2 lower holes.

Scenic hubs on 1*2 beam.

PRXF5185.JPG

There’s so many options to make the car a maxi with regards to suspension with my basic (no) knowledge of the Clio, it’s a bit overwhelming. I’m a classic Mini and Vauxhall Corsa/nova person which I’ve rallied. So I’m starting to bring another option into the mould.

1. Go maxi replica.
2. Go back to Clio Williams group A replica

Reasons:
1. With the maxi, I’m doing research and I can only get a full maxi body kit from France or Spain and all the good suspension components are there as well. (I don’t want to do spacers) the problem with that after brexit, there’s a lot of taxes involved, vat, import tax and delivery charges. It’s adding half and more to the advertised price of things…also the time involved.

2. Taking off the body kit on the car and putting it back to a clio Williams with 16” Prima wheels and yellow/blue livery might make it that I can utilise what is an already good sorted car, but more of a replica from times gone by.

So, I’m in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I’ve spent 3 weeks reaching it and have had a lot of help from you guys and another guy from Denmark helping me on everything‘ Clio rally cars and where to get parts from and videos.

So I’m now undesided which way to go. Both ways are rally replicas Renault blue/yellow, but do I go full on maxi or stay safe with the group A replica?

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There’s so many options to make the car a maxi with regards to suspension with my basic (no) knowledge of the Clio, it’s a bit overwhelming. I’m a classic Mini and Vauxhall Corsa/nova person which I’ve rallied. So I’m starting to bring another option into the mould.

1. Go maxi replica.
2. Go back to Clio Williams group A replica

Reasons:
1. With the maxi, I’m doing research and I can only get a full maxi body kit from France or Spain and all the good suspension components are there as well. (I don’t want to do spacers) the problem with that after brexit, there’s a lot of taxes involved, vat, import tax and delivery charges. It’s adding half and more to the advertised price of things…also the time involved.

2. Taking off the body kit on the car and putting it back to a clio Williams with 16” Prima wheels and yellow/blue livery might make it that I can utilise what is an already good sorted car, but more of a replica from times gone by.

So, I’m in a bit of a predicament at the moment. I’ve spent 3 weeks reaching it and have had a lot of help from you guys and another guy from Denmark helping me on everything‘ Clio rally cars and where to get parts from and videos.

So I’m now undesided which way to go. Both ways are rally replicas Renault blue/yellow, but do I go full on maxi or stay safe with the group A replica?

Has the rear wings already been cut out for the maxi kit?

Has the rear wings already been cut out for the maxi kit?
Only high enough for wheel clearance so they’re still there. I think a lower wing repair panel could fix it.
Besides the wider wings is there anything else on the body that can tell me it’s a Williams shell?

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Only high enough for wheel clearance so they’re still there. I think a lower wing repair panel could fix it.
Besides the wider wings is there anything else on the body that can tell me it’s a Williams shell?
The vin will tell you exactly what it is, there's the vin plate above the drivers headlight & the vin is also stamped on the drivers side suspension turret.
Will start with VF1C57M if it's a Williams or VF1C57D if it's a 1.8 16v shell both are pretty much identical though

The vin will tell you exactly what it is, there's the vin plate above the drivers headlight & the vin is also stamped on the drivers side suspension turret.
Will start with VF1C57M if it's a Williams or VF1C57D if it's a 1.8 16v shell both are pretty much identical though
Thanks paddy, also is there anything physical on the car that makes the Williams different?

And is there any definitive way or ‘how to guide’ to go about the maxi route of widening the suspension which is easy to understand, has been done before and doesn’t use spacers?

Is there anything on here explained in bullet points?

I don’t mind modifying what I already have if it doesn’t involve spacers.

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I don't think you'll find a how to guide as its not been done much, there isn't much appetite for it due to cost and expertise required. Would be good to make a guide though, if I was making one it would read like this:

Option1:
Spend a lot of money in Europe on Gucci parts (probably over £10k). It looks like you've found links to some of the parts required so understand the costs involved, lead times may also be a consideration. The link below has the Clio maxi homologation papers so worth checking for reference:

1725626024323.png

Option 2:
Use mainly 1*2 parts as I've listed above, with a custom tubular subframe (£1.2-£2k ish) maybe a scenic rear beam or a custom one and reposition top mounts.
If you're not going sequential you'll want to use a JC5, it mounts up to an F7 so the 1*2 hubs will be needed for that anyway. Would probably cost around £5k to do it this way unless you're lucky with second hand parts. It makes the most sense to me as spares are more available performance should be similar.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Thanks paddy, also is there anything physical on the car that makes the Williams different?
For all intent & purposes there's nothing special or different about the Williams, it's just bits bolted to the shell that make them different

Same applies to the lower spec shells, it's basically just this panel circled on each side that makes the 16v & Williams different

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240830_130335_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240830_130335_Chrome.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 5
For all intent & purposes there's nothing special or different about the Williams, it's just bits bolted to the shell that make them different

Same applies to the lower spec shells, it's basically just this panel circled on each side that makes the 16v & Williams different
Not really any difference then.

I don't think you'll find a how to guide as its not been done much, there isn't much appetite for it due to cost and expertise required. Would be good to make a guide though, if I was making one it would read like this:

Option1:
Spend a lot of money in Europe on Gucci parts (probably over £10k). It looks like you've found links to some of the parts required so understand the costs involved, lead times may also be a consideration. The link below has the Clio maxi homologation papers so worth checking for reference:

View attachment 1709903

Option 2:
Use mainly 1*2 parts as I've listed above, with a custom tubular subframe (£1.2-£2k ish) maybe a scenic rear beam or a custom one and reposition top mounts.
If you're not going sequential you'll want to use a JC5, it mounts up to an F7 so the 1*2 hubs will be needed for that anyway. Would probably cost around £5k to do it this way unless you're lucky with second hand parts. It makes the most sense to me as spares are more available performance should be similar.
I think my car has a JC5. What’s the order of the best /better gearboxes for Clio. What gearbox came with the Clio Williams and what is the JC5 off

GasManLS7

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think my car has a JC5. What’s the order of the best /better gearboxes for Clio. What gearbox came with the Clio Williams and what is the JC5 off

JC5 is 1*2, better box and more options for diffs than the Williams/valver boxes. If you've got a working speedo driven off the box it's and early JC5.

Also if you've got a JC5 I believe you'll have 1*2 hubs and suspension already as I believe that's your only option due to drive shafts

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
If it's a Williams box it will be a JC5 014

Can you see the box under all those pipes? Is it a jc5?
It’s got a digital dash so may not have a manual Speedo drive

Attachments

• IMG_9142.jpeg
    IMG_9142.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Can you see the box under all those pipes? Is it a jc5?
It’s got a digital dash so may not have a manual Speedo drive
Annoyingly the pipes are blocking the exact bits I need to look at to id the box 🤣
I'm trying to look at the bolt holes on the top of the box where the mount normally goes.
If it's a speedo drive box you'll be able to see a hole for a speedo sensor or cable to plug into on the top of the box near where the driveshafts go in
I can see that it's got a mk2 clutch fork

If you measure the diameter of the hole in the hub for the driveshaft spline as well as the thickness of the stub axle where it attaches to the shock absorber you'll know if it's a mk1 or mk2 hub as they're different sizes (I can't remember them off the top of my head) which will also help tell you what the rest of the suspension bits are
Hi paddy,
Here’s the dimensions of the overall diameter of the driveshafts splines 23mm and the hub where it fits into the bottom shock mount 22mm. (See photos)
Do you know which hub it is?

Attachments

• IMG_9247.jpeg
    IMG_9247.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9248.jpeg
    IMG_9248.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Hi paddy,
Here’s the dimensions of the overall diameter of the driveshafts splines 23mm and the hub where it fits into the bottom shock mount 22mm. (See photos)
Do you know which hub it is?
I'll be with my car later today so will measure up & let you know.

I also found this in case you go down the Group A route

Screenshot_20240909_112056_Facebook.jpg

Annoyingly the pipes are blocking the exact bits I need to look at to id the box 🤣
I'm trying to look at the bolt holes on the top of the box where the mount normally goes.
If it's a speedo drive box you'll be able to see a hole for a speedo sensor or cable to plug into on the top of the box near where the driveshafts go in
I can see that it's got a mk2 clutch fork
Here’s a few more photos for you. I’ve checked the paperwork with the car and it says it’s a Jc5 gearbox fitted with Avanti gear set and lsd.

Attachments

• IMG_9266.jpeg
    IMG_9266.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9268.jpeg
    IMG_9268.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9269.jpeg
    IMG_9269.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Yeah that's a Mk1 box from a Williams but if the gearset inside has been changed it doesn't really matter what you call it, on all the JC5's the 3 numbers after it are what determines the ratios etc inside it

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Paddy,
Did you get 5 to checks the dimensions of the hubs for me so I can see what’s on my car?
Thanks
Yes I did.....................sort of, the Mk2 hubs are 26mm thick so yours are deffo Mk1 items.
Unfortunately I completely forgot about the CV joint splines, I'd say they're most probably mk1 items as well but the hub flanges are interchangeable between the 2 so can't say with 100% certainty

Yes I did.....................sort of, the Mk2 hubs are 26mm thick so yours are deffo Mk1 items.
Unfortunately I completely forgot about the CV joint splines, I'd say they're most probably mk1 items as well but the hub flanges are interchangeable between the 2 so can't say with 100% certainty
Thanks Paddy, I’m starting to get an idea of what exactly is on the car now. Slowly getting there, but I’m sure I’ll still have more questions.