ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dodgy/Twitchy Steering

172 Cup
Hi guys, Am having a problem that I see from searching seems to be quite a common one on the 172. When at speed on fast bends the steering is very twitchy and the front end of the car doesn't seem very stable. Also at slow speeds the steering wheel sometimes needs wrestled to stay in the centre, ie will seem to turn to left by itself, but only at slow trundling speeds. It also feels a bit unsteady when heavy braking.

The rear shocks have been replaced in the past few months as one was leaking and the tracking was done a month ago. I see from searching that the most common cause of this type of problem on the RS Clios is the inner track rods failing. I've never really had to do anything with steering system on a car before other than change the Track rod ends. Is there and check(s) I can perform to see if it is an issue with the rack/column or just the track rods.

PS:- Are the track rods easy to hange DIY, i have Cup model of 172!

Cheers

Will

Megane Trophy, Golf
Dude check your springs and shocks on front, mine was like this until I changed them both, now its spot on :)

172 Cup
The shocks are try and are returning ok when jumping up and down on the front of the doorframes and the springs look perfectly in tact. Wouldnt think they would make a difference at trundling speeds?

Megane Trophy, Golf
They did on mine, but you would need to take out the shocks and try moving them up and down by hand. Mine was right easy to move. Jumping on your car wont really pick it up if they are shagged as mine passed MOT and my front shocks was fooked. Mine was crashy over bumps at low speed and when cornering it used to skip and generally feel like my wheels was coming off LOL. :)

COuld be the steering rack fella.

35 quid for a second hand one from cliospares on here (Joshydee member) and about 100 to fit lad.