ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does this make sense to lenses?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I need a bit of help with tele lens values please guys.

ATM I have a 35mm equivalent of 114mm. So would zooming 2x into the picture on my PC show what I could achieve if I had 228mm lense? I'm considering what size lense I would need for Silverstone this year if I get a DSLR.

This is 100% crop of a pic I took at full zoom so 114mm equivalent:

100crop-114mm.jpg

This is at 200%, so should be 228mm?:

200crop-228mm.jpg

This is at 263% so should be 300mm equivalent (what a D40 with a 200mm lens should achieve):

263crop-300mm.jpg

And finally at 395%, so should be 450mm equivalent (D40 with 300mm lens):

395crop-450mm.jpg

I got the 35mm equivalent by multiplying the D40 focal length conversion factor (1.5) by the max focal length of the lenses. I hope this is right. Then I divided the 35mm equivalent by 114 to work out how much to zoom into the picture by. I hope this again is the right way to work it out.

Excuse the poor quality but am just trying to work out how close I can get to the cars as I am sitting very close to where I was when I took the original pic which is just in front and below the grandstand I'll be in this year.

I thought this would be easier, these are completely untouched images from the Luffield Terrace from my D50, focal lengths are listed above each pic and are literally just the actual focal length shown on the lens...

145mm
502775712_HAJTV-M.jpg

200mm
502775106_RAavj-M.jpg

420mm
502776222_McJrt-M.jpg

420mm
502778423_mwiuZ-M.jpg

300mm should be ok for you, and that focal length has plenty of fairly cheap but good options in the form of the various 70-300mm lens available.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Handy to see those from the same area of the track. Cheers. So are they all the original pictures in smaller size and not crops?

Mighty impressive skills. Think I'd rather spend money on good camera kit and get into photography now instead of modding my engine lol How long you been doing this?

Lol good maths. Get a nice 300mm f4.

One day! Budget photography for now.

Handy to see those from the same area of the track. Cheers. So are they all the original pictures in smaller size and not crops?

Mighty impressive skills. Think I'd rather spend money on good camera kit and get into photography now instead of modding my engine lol How long you been doing this?

Literally straight from the camera, so completely unedited and untouched.

I've been shooting motorsport for 3 seasons now, 2 with a DSLR. Love it, this year will be my trip to Silverstone for F1, just going on the Friday.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Literally straight from the camera, so completely unedited and untouched.

I've been shooting motorsport for 3 seasons now, 2 with a DSLR. Love it, this year will be my trip to Silverstone for F1, just going on the Friday.

Ah I see, so they were taken in that size. The quality looks excellent. I'm thinking of a D40 as I was originally looking to spend no more than £300 inc accessories, hence looking at bridge cameras before.

I really want to get a lot of pictures at Silverstone this year and want good quality too so think DSLR it is.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sorry that's what I meant in my first reply, if it was cropped or downsized. Cleared up now though.

The quality looks so good in both, the D90 pic is amazingly clear even down to the porsche badge on the wheels. The 6MP is very impressive too. To get quality as least as good as that will make me very happy.

My Dad and I might buy one joint now so will definitely get an DSLR and maybe opt for some better kit as we'll have a bigger budget together.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
I need a bit of help with tele lens values please guys.

ATM I have a 35mm equivalent of 114mm. So would zooming 2x into the picture on my PC show what I could achieve if I had 228mm lense? I'm considering what size lense I would need for Silverstone this year if I get a DSLR.

This is 100% crop of a pic I took at full zoom so 114mm equivalent:
What camera do you currently use??

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Its an old point and shoot, Canon A80. 5years old now. Was decent at the time and allowed a lot of manual control.

Am wondering if a 55-200mm (82.5-300mm 35mm equivalent) lens will be ok or stump up extra for 70-300mm (105-450 equivalent). No idea what to chose.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Your best bet is to try something out. If you are not going to be shooting 35mm equivs, throw those measurements out of the window since they dont mean much.

What is your budget?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
About £550 budget for everything: camera, lenses, memory cards, spare battery, case.

If I like the D60 in the shop, I will get that so that'll be £350ish spent. The included 18-55mm lens will be sufficient for most, so will just want a tele lens. Looking at Sigma and Tamron 55-200mm or 70-300mm, and possibly the Nikon 55-200mm VR if 200mm is enough and I can spend a bit extra.

Why do you say ignore the 35mm equivs? Is that not a good way to compare lenses between cameras? I used them originally as a comparison as to how close I could get to an object before cropping.