ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does this sound bad

Just picked up a New (Pre registered) 172 Cup last weekend...... First of all, I must say it is a superb little motor and I have had a smile on my face pretty much ever since I got hold of the keys.....!!! A bit of a step up from the 1.2 RN I had as my first car 10 years ago!!

However, Just a couple of things have been nigling me so I thought Id see if anyone could offer feedback..... Basically, the gear change from 4th to 5th frequently Grinds the gears.... this is especially the case when Im changing having had a good accelertion through 4th to approx 4500RPM (Still running it in!)..... but it sometimes does it even when Im crawling along at 45 to 50 mph!! I am convinced this cannot be healthy!! Is this a problem..if so, will it go away with age or do I need to speak to the garage and have it looked at? secondly, the Steering wheel sometimes appears to develop a mind of its own at slow speeds...i.e pulling up to traffic lights. IT some times will quite noticeably want to turn (Usually right) which I think is in response to the road surface camber etc. Is this just the responsive nature of the Hydraulic power steering or does this sound more sinister!! Maybe Im being a carocondriact on this but would like to hear peoples views!!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Welcome to the forum mate!

The gearbox will loosen up a bit, but if its doing it every time it could be that the synchromesh is a little iffy.

Youll get used to the tramlining effect at low speeds - the car will develop a mind of its own on anything other than a perfectly smooth surface.

Once the engine has been broken in everything should loosen up nicely. Make sure u vary the revs tho to get the best performance later on.

The steering problem is cos of the tyres mainly... theyre much wider than ur old ones in the 1.2 RN so they will tramline when ur going slow so no problems there.

oh, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks Guys....

FuBar....when you say varied Revs....What are we Talking...?? all the way through the range or nothing beyond say 5K?? Its my first ever new car so not entirely familiar with the whole running in thing!!! Ive cleared 300Miles so far so Reckon another 350 to 400 miles to go?

Quote: Originally posted by Ruprect on 26 April 2004

Just picked up a New (Pre registered) 172 Cup last weekend...... First of all, I must say it is a superb little motor and I have had a smile on my face pretty much ever since I got hold of the keys.....!!! A bit of a step up from the 1.2 RN I had as my first car 10 years ago!!

However, Just a couple of things have been nigling me so I thought Id see if anyone could offer feedback..... Basically, the gear change from 4th to 5th frequently Grinds the gears.... this is especially the case when Im changing having had a good accelertion through 4th to approx 4500RPM (Still running it in!)..... but it sometimes does it even when Im crawling along at 45 to 50 mph!! I am convinced this cannot be healthy!! Is this a problem..if so, will it go away with age or do I need to speak to the garage and have it looked at? secondly, the Steering wheel sometimes appears to develop a mind of its own at slow speeds...i.e pulling up to traffic lights. IT some times will quite noticeably want to turn (Usually right) which I think is in response to the road surface camber etc. Is this just the responsive nature of the Hydraulic power steering or does this sound more sinister!! Maybe Im being a carocondriact on this but would like to hear peoples views!!
welcome to the wonderfull world of renault ownership?? lol, no your problems sound pretty much standard on alot of cups and 172s,mine does the same with the gears, but mines going from 2nd to 3rd when booting it.

the tramlining is just what happens when you have wider wheels on, speaking of problems wait till you boot it in first and it sounds like your engine is about to fall out(knocking/banging).

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Loads of old posts being bumped lately, how do people find them?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Whenever i try searching it won't let me go that far back.

I found this on the similar threads section below the thread i was on. I saw the title and took no notice of the year it was originally posted.

LY Megane R26
Whenever i try searching it won't let me go that far back.

It should?

I find it the same mate, when I search it may only show the last year maybe 2,
I've had it before when I've searched I can find a thread, search again couple weeks later the same way and can't find the thread that I found before. Noticed it as we came into the new year when I was searching for info on the rs2 inlet, came up with loads of threads on the search before Xmas, sure there was a few pages, and only came up with about 15 threads after the new year.