ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doubts over new Renault's aerodynamic performance

hope this isnt the case as below.....

»

Doubts over new Renault's aerodynamic performance

Following an opening test in which it lapped markedly off the pace of the leading 2009 contenders, Renault's new R29 could be struggling somewhat on the aerodynamics front, it has been surmised.

During the first real group test of the year at Portimao in Portugal last week, double Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso wound up more than two seconds shy of the Williams of Nico Rosberg, and the Spaniard is said to be unhappy with the car's potential. Moreover, grandprix.com reports that the French concern has since headed to the 6,500ft runway at Kemble airfield near Cirencester to conduct aerodynamic mapping work with – unusually – no fewer than five team trucks in attendance.

The Régie's technical director Bob Bell, however, insists he is 'proud' of all the work accomplished at both Enstone and Viry over the winter – and he stated that, despite the drastic regulation changes sweeping the top flight ahead of the 2009 campaign, the challenge was not massively greater than has been the case in recent years.

“It wasn't fundamentally different from the way we do any car,” he underlined. “We started working on the R29 earlier than we normally would have – we began the first wind tunnel tests back in February. It was a question of gradually building up the resources on that project without compromising what we wanted to do on the R28, which we developed quite late into the season.

“The only way we were able to do that was to ask more of our people and our facilities, and just work a little bit harder because the R29 has been a very demanding programme. First of all, we took the 2008 car and just did no more than to legalise it to the 2009 regs without any obvious development; that was the starting point.

“Then it becomes pretty obvious, when you start working on that programme, that the key areas for development and performance are the front wing and its interaction with the nose and then the diffuser. That falls into a front and rear emphasis on the design of the car. We've driven the aero department towards looking at those two important parameters – almost separately – but constantly checking what the interaction between the two is. These are two very important areas for the 2009 car.

“We've had to push the design of the car and incorporate new technology that we haven't had before – the KERS system, the adjustable front flaps [and] a completely new approach to the aerodynamics. Then there were the side-effects, especially of KERS because it uses up so much weight and eats up all your moveable ballast. We've really had to push taking weight out of the car. It's been a much more difficult and more intensive development programme and required a lot more effort than any car we've done recently.

One of the Castle Combe regulars spotted Piquet down at Kemble on Thursday, nailing it back and forth along the runway for a couple of hours.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
i read that they want to sort there reliability first, then work on performance.
I suppose this is because they have an upgraded engine and KERS.

Clio 1.2 16v
One of the Castle Combe regulars spotted Piquet down at Kemble on Thursday, nailing it back and forth along the runway for a couple of hours.

My g/f works there and got to sit in one of the Renault F1 cars last year. Funny how they choose such a small place to test.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
Alonso is currently the best driver in f1, he also weighs 67kg, and i doubt any of that weight is fat.

I read that they will bring a new nose out at the last test before Melbourne

Still the best driver in F1, but also a c**t.

I think not, a mardy little spaniard if you ask me. Got the hump on when the virgin of F1 beat him in his first season.

Hope his Renault breaks down every race. Imo obviously

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think not, a mardy little spaniard if you ask me. Got the hump on when the virgin of F1 beat him in his first season.

Hope his Renault breaks down every race. Imo obviously
As said, not my favourite driver. But he's the only driver out there who could do what he did at Renault last season. The only man in F1 who's fapping quick, can develop a car in testing, and doesn't make many errors.
The fact is he's a double world champion, beat Schumacher fair and square, can't take that away from him.

Focus RS Mk1
agree with the above, cracking dirver, an excellent all rounder...cant see him winning the tittle this year though. I belive kibica will be up there this year...with the likes of massa and hamilton.

As said, not my favourite driver. But he's the only driver out there who could do what he did at Renault last season. The only man in F1 who's fapping quick, can develop a car in testing, and doesn't make many errors.
The fact is he's a double world champion, beat Schumacher fair and square, can't take that away from him.

Yeah agree dude, just thought he folded once there was an element of pressure put on him, like Kimi to be fair. He does well when there is no pressure, when nobody expects anything from him.

Would like to see Renault do well again though.

how exactly did Alonso fold? he was world champion until massa let kimi through at interlagos...

dont confuse british press with how people are reacting/whats actually going on

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yeah agree dude, just thought he folded once there was an element of pressure put on him, like Kimi to be fair. He does well when there is no pressure, when nobody expects anything from him.

Would like to see Renault do well again though.
I disagree completely. He's a high maintenance driver, one of those characters that need to feel 'loved' within the team. Was never going to get that at McLaren, he was basically the new Coulthard with Lewis as Mika.
But, put him in an environment where he feels that love, and he's the best driver IMO.
Ali, Kimi's had one bad season, in a car that didn't suit him. Still epic speed, still got the ability to win. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Everyone wrote Alonso off when he left McLaren, arguably the driver of 2008 when you take the car into account.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
how exactly did Alonso fold? he was world champion until massa let kimi through at interlagos...

dont confuse british press with how people are reacting/whats actually going on
+1. Too much tabloid thinking from people with a passing interest in the sport.

^^ Not sure who thats aimed at? My views on Alonso are purely from what he does on the track and his bad attitude. He had good competition at Mclaren and threw his toys out the pram because he wasnt the team number 1, IMO Hamilton and Alonso both had a fair crack.

Now he's at Renault he's the number 1 driver and he's happy cus Piquet cant compete.

Oh and ive watched F1 ever since i can remember so its barely a passing interest.

+1. Too much tabloid thinking from people with a passing interest in the sport.

My comment wasn't from someone with 'passing interest'!

I just dont really like him, dont think he is that great compared to the new talent on show.

'I think' Hamilton pissed on his bonfire and he couldn't cope. Then there is Massa, and in my eyes the best driver there today, personally dont think Alonso can touch Massa.

As for him needing to be in a team where he feels 'loved', wtf?!! He isn't 5!!!

i wasnt aiming anyone at anything, i was bantering with warren using the name of an F1 driver...

everyone has their view fair enough but these can all to easily get clouded

loved or not, 5 or not he's the double world champion.

'a' double world champion lol, not anymore. I think anyone who has put a bet on him to do it again has lost some money :eek:

'a' double world champion lol, not anymore. I think anyone who has put a bet on him to do it again has lost some money :eek:

see into future now? ;)

you point about being 'a' champion and not the current doesnt stand imo, whether you like him or not. his talent is rediculous

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I may be mistaken, but didn't he gain more points than anyone over the 2nd half of the season, in a far inferior car?
I don't like Alonso the personality, but I don't let that cloud my judgment of him as a great driver.
Naith, it's Kumar Ram Narain Karthikeyan to you.

Well done, if only he could do it in the first half too.

I dont think he is a crap driver, just don't like him, childish little boy. IMO

^^ Lol, maybe. I'll let you tell me 'I told you so' if he does win it, I just dont think he will with the people on the track at the moment.

I think he will be too busy fighting people like Kubica if the Renault is not on the pace of the Ferrari and McLaren.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
grrrr how could he, The R28 was a dog until the spanish upgrades were implimented.

u just think he couldnt be arsed until the second half!?
Wasn't a great car for the 2nd half! He's the only driver with the drive and talent to do that in a car. Hamilton may reach that point, but the problem with making your debut in a top team is that he's never had to battle at the bottom developing a shite car, which is invaluable experience.
It's good to have 3 great drivers (I do NOT class Massa as a great yet. One swallow and all that) competing at the top.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
Alonso will win more world titles, thats 99% FACT!

I feel the best next year will be Massa, Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Kubica and maybe Vettle

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Alonso is awesome - the best all round driver on the grid - his moans and groans are what make him 'him' take that away and he wouldn't have that something about him.

If rumours are true then Alonso would have come out on top if they hadn't nurtured 'shamilton' though the season.

He wouldn't have won last season were it not for some luck. mind you the entire season is luck I guess when your placing your faith in 19 other drivers around you!