ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drilling out spot welds

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Hi. Has anyone ever drilled out the spot welds and replaced the wing/bumper/headlight bracket on a 182. Mines been bent and I’ve started to straighten it but just wondered if it’s easier to just replace. Thanks
AB5A9E53-2354-40CE-B6CB-CF01627C7C31.jpeg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
That bumper wing mount causes a problem in that if you lower your car and turn really hard it will scrape/rub on your tyres.. I've seen on some track cars that its even folded over and cut a groove in the tyre.. Ive actually cut mine right down..That rust on yours was like mine and it'll only be surface rust..
14a08dd5c054cd104c7243f0d497e788.jpg

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
Thanks. It’s mainly the bent factor that’s making me think about removing. I don’t have a spot welder though so would have to bolt back on a replacement. And getting a replacement aswell.
EB6F37D3-29EA-4BA0-BC13-2CE08268CCA2.jpeg

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
That is a tough one.. Personally id just beat it straight as i could, wire wheel all the rust off, rust treat it, paint it and done..

04-182

ClioSport Club Member
  AB Clio 182
That is a tough one.. Personally id just beat it straight as i could, wire wheel all the rust off, rust treat it, paint it and done..

Think I’ll give it a go/tickle with a hammer but have talked to jmrs about a replacement bracket which hopefully they can sort me out with.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Firstly I’d do what Eddie suggested about a clean up, treat and paint. If you have to replace it and have a normal welder you can just plug weld it where the spot welds would be.

Spot weld removal drills are available from Toolstation/screw fix etc.