ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers side xenon not working. Bulb or ballast?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
When I flick the headlights on the drivers side doesn't come on but it does flicker for a split second as if it wants to start? Any ideas?

Ballast 100%.

Bulb would of gone pink a long time before it went out.
Started wouldn't of turned the bulb on if it was that.

Positive its the Ballast happened to me twice. £40/£50 for one off ebay.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ballast 100%.

Bulb would of gone pink a long time before it went out.
Started wouldn't of turned the bulb on if it was that.

Positive its the Ballast happened to me twice. £40/£50 for one off ebay.

now you mention it the bulb was slightly off colour compared to the other 1 (not as blue and sharp)? I just put this down to the fact someone may have replaced it at some stage with the wrong colour lamp?

Swap the ballasts over and see if it works then, if it does it's the ballast.

Easy job im hoping? changing the bulbs is a right PITA!

Ford Transit
We'd suggest swapping the bulbs over, not the ballast. The standard Renault ballasts are a nightmare to get to (usually hidden underneath the headlamp surround etc).

Pull the bulbs out, swap them over, see if the culprit one fires up. It's not a fantastic job, but it'll be a lot easier than changing the ballasts over.

Just a quick note; we also suggest changing a pair of bulbs at a time, rather than just one, because the brand new bulb wont be exactly the same colour as the old one, for obvious reasons, so it's better to replace the pair.

Hope that helps.

BG 182
now you mention it the bulb was slightly off colour compared to the other 1 (not as blue and sharp)? I just put this down to the fact someone may have replaced it at some stage with the wrong colour lamp?

Easy job im hoping? changing the bulbs is a right PITA!

By the sounds of the reply above it's a pain in the arse lol, i'd try what they've said.

Ford Transit
We did a 230 F1 Team Megane a few months back, had to change the ballast in that for him, and it was an absolute pig. Had the whole front of the car off, the front wheels, arch liner etc, all to get the headlamps out and replace the ballasts.

You can access the bulbs via the flap in the arch liner, usually with the wheel on full lock away from you.

Yeah the bulbs and the igniter a easy to get too in the clio. To get access to the ballast, you have to take the front bumper off and then take the headlights out. Doesn't take that long if you know what your doing.

Ph2 Flamer
Had the same problem myself a couple of weeks back, passenger bulb either started up but was weak and greeney, or it wouldn't light at all or on one occasion it went pink. Advice on here was the bulb was on the way out so new set of bulbs went in and it was still not igniting properly. Noticed there was some moisture in the headlamp as the goon of a previous owner had taken the rubber covers off both lights and put them ontop of the strut top mounts (where they look perfectly normal tbh). Couldn't get into the headlight to dry it out so took it off the car and put it in the oven at 70 degrees for an hour which dried it out completely without melting anything and it lights up perfectly now so must have been moisture in somewhere causing the problem.

There is a clio bumper removal guide in the guides section which is excellent and I managed to get the bumper off in 20mins the first time following the guide. IIRC all you need is a 10mm socket and a 15 or 20 torx key. Once it's off it's a piece of cake to take the lamps off (3 x 10mm bolts) to get to the ballasts to swap em over (or to swap the bulbs or igniters for that matter).
It really is worth whipping the bumper off imo if you need to take the bulbs out or swap the igniters over as it just makes everything so much easier.