ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft Fitting Rough Price?

Hi there,

my car failed MOT today on a driveshaft boot split, they are recommending getting a new drive shaft as said it might be worn.

What would a typical price be for a replacement and fitting?

Ta, Andy

53 Clio's & counting
depending on which side mate really, the n/s you have to drain the gearbox oil, i replaced my n/s one, though i did it myself so no labour charge, took about an hour to do, and the shaft cost me £90

Someone mentioned that you cant replace the cv boot on its own and have to get a driveshaft?? Is this true because it sounds odd?

Titanium 182
There not that hard to do yourself its just the oil thats the problem :eek:

If your going to pull it out then make sure you have a large bucket under it :(

Countryman JCW
I went through 2 drive axels on my megane when i first started driving (being a young idiot), and my dad and i replaced the axel without taking it to a garage, its quite a simple process really, mine being as you sit behind the wheel the side to your right, you take the wheel, brake etc off, and your right there really, i remember the bolt holding the axel in place being a pain in the arse to get off as it had rusted on, but that was the first one, the next time it came off with ease, probs did the whole lot in an hour.... so if i were you mate id get a haynes manual for your motor and do it yourself, its a good way to learn about maintaining your car, and if all else fails you can get a garage to do it, but at least you've given it a shot?

all imo of course tho...:)

good luck with it tho mate

Titanium 182
I went through 2 drive axels on my megane when i first started driving (being a young idiot), and my dad and i replaced the axel without taking it to a garage, its quite a simple process really, mine being as you sit behind the wheel the side to your right, you take the wheel, brake etc off, and your right there really, i remember the bolt holding the axel in place being a pain in the arse to get off as it had rusted on, but that was the first one, the next time it came off with ease, probs did the whole lot in an hour.... so if i were you mate id get a haynes manual for your motor and do it yourself, its a good way to learn about maintaining your car, and if all else fails you can get a garage to do it, but at least you've given it a shot?

all imo of course tho...:)

good luck with it tho mate

+1

Just make sure you have a breakdown policy that will tow you from your home to a garage :rasp:

I had to roll mine 1 mile down a hill from my house with the NS front brake line twisted round my strut meaning I couldnt get anywhere near full lock or I would split the lines :eek:

Clio Sport 172
was just checking out info on drive shafts because i have so many probs with mine. probs the great roads around my way.

you can change the gaiter on the outer cv joint although you have to buy a tool which streches it and also re-grease the joint. any motorparts place would stock them.

if the drive shaft is o/s then there are 2 types :- a 2 piece shaft (172) generally. 3 bolts to back of engine block.

or

a 1 piece shaft (clio cups).

i would reccomend a 1 piece as they take more s***.

also as stated the o/s is an output shaft. no leaks from gearbox when removed.
the n/s is an input so you may get a leak. (jack up high and if any comes out top up gear box after)

try a scrappy for a shaft although get the right one because 172's and 182's differ at hub end of things.

hope this helps.