ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving to and back from mot without tax and insurance...

as above what is the law on this? i know you can drive to the mot test station without tax but im not sure on the insurance side?

can anyone help without being cocky please. :)

thank you

Black 172
You need day insurance or get someone with Drive Other Car cover to drive it
(It's a myth that the car needs to be insured in its own right - unless the policy says so which is rare)

clio 172 cup 2003
you need insurance but mot is not mandatory if yoy get stopped without mot they will test your car and do you for anything it fails on [i got stopped 3months mot out of date put it through mot next day and was ok]

is1

Integra Type R DC2
you need insurance but mot is not mandatory if yoy get stopped without mot they will test your car and do you for anything it fails on [i got stopped 3months mot out of date put it through mot next day and was ok]

Isn't your insurance invalid if you have no MOT? I know this could apply in the OP's case but having an appointment to get one may be an adequate mitigating point/defence.

White clique
You need insurance now regardless of whether you are driving the car or not, even if its just sat on your driveway.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.
This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069671

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
(It's a myth that the car needs to be insured in its own right - unless the policy says so which is rare)

Really? where did you learn that from? I never knew that one.... Thinking about it about 5 years ago a friend got done driving a car that wasn't insured even though he was fully covered through his own insurance. The car he was driving didn't have a policy registered to it...

Last edited:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
You need insurance now regardless of whether you are driving the car or not, even if its just sat on your driveway.

True. If your car is off the road but not registered as SORN you have to have it insured even if it's never going to see the road. Another case of honest drivers being penalised for illegal drivers.

White clique
OP needs to read this about the new insurance laws that came in June 2011.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.
The exceptions are:
  • if you have made a SORN for the vehicle
  • if your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use
  • if your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers
  • if your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA)
[h=3]What will happen if your vehicle doesn't have insurance[/h]From the end of June 2011 Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL) will be issued by the Motor Insurers' Bureau to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles. This will be following a check of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) - the UK's central record of vehicle insurance. The IAL will advise the registered keeper that their vehicle appears to have no insurance and what actions to take to avoid receiving a fixed penalty from DVLA.
If a vehicle does not have insurance, the registered keeper could:
  • receive a fixed penalty of £100
  • have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed
  • face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1000
Payment of a penalty does not replace the need for motor insurance.

Black 200 Cup
I'd reckon plod isn't going to be happy with you if he pulls you and you have no insurance, whatever you're doing. Another consequence of having no insurance is a third-party claim, say from the parents of a kid you knock over on the way to the MOT station. Most multi-car accidents cost a fortune to clear up without the injury claims on top..how does the OP feel about being sued for those costs and spending the rest of their life paying it off?

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I'd reckon plod isn't going to be happy with you if he pulls you and you have no insurance, whatever you're doing. Another consequence of having no insurance is a third-party claim, say from the parents of a kid you knock over on the way to the MOT station. Most multi-car accidents cost a fortune to clear up without the injury claims on top..how do you feel about being sued for those costs and spending the rest of your life paying it off?

I don't think the OP is intending to drive without insurance but I take the point. However, in the above case, the rest of us would be paying for it presumably under the MIB uninsured drivers scheme as he would be an uninsured driver!

I'd reckon plod isn't going to be happy with you if he pulls you and you have no insurance, whatever you're doing. Another consequence of having no insurance is a third-party claim, say from the parents of a kid you knock over on the way to the MOT station. Most multi-car accidents cost a fortune to clear up without the injury claims on top..how does the OP feel about being sued for those costs and spending the rest of their life paying it off?

Have you even read the OP's post?

Golf GTD Mk7

Incorrect, unless it's sorn, all cars have to be insured. Otherwise it's assumed you're breaking the law and driving illegally. Fines sent through the post now.

Black 172
Incorrect, unless it's sorn, all cars have to be insured. Otherwise it's assumed you're breaking the law and driving illegally. Fines sent through the post now.
True under the newish legislation which I forgot about, but that won't stop you, as a driver, from driving an uninsured car under your Drive Other Cars cover. You won't be done for no insurance so long as your policy says you can drive other cars with the owners permission. Any penalty sent automatically for letting the insurance lapse without declaring SORN is a financial penalty only, sent to the registered keeper, and is much less serious than driving without insurance.

White clique
True under the newish legislation which I forgot about, but that won't stop you, as a driver, from driving an uninsured car under your Drive Other Cars cover. You won't be done for no insurance so long as your policy says you can drive other cars with the owners permission. Any penalty sent automatically for letting the insurance lapse without declaring SORN is a financial penalty only, sent to the registered keeper, and is much less serious than driving without insurance.

totally wrong, the car you are going to drive needs both its own insurance cover by the registered keeper and you also need comprehensive of your own to drive someone elses car. I had all this confirmed to me a few weeks ago when i needed to borrow someone elses car.

Now Sold :-(
totally wrong, the car you are going to drive needs both its own insurance cover by the registered keeper and you also need comprehensive of your own to drive someone elses car. I had all this confirmed to me a few weeks ago when i needed to borrow someone elses car.

^^This^^
The car needs to have cover in relation to third party risk if it is on the road. Makes no difference who is driving/using it at the time.

Black 172
No it doesn't, it is the driver that needs cover, not the car. It's a myth been going for years, IF your insurance says you can drive other cars then you are insured to drive that car, similar to how a trader can drive a car without the car itself being insured. You must not leave the car though as then it is uninsured on the public road.

I bet you think no MoT or no Tax voids insurance too

White clique
No it doesn't, it is the driver that needs cover, not the car. It's a myth been going for years, IF your insurance says you can drive other cars then you are insured to drive that car, similar to how a trader can drive a car without the car itself being insured. You must not leave the car though as then it is uninsured on the public road.

Read this and then tell me I'm still wrong. The law changed in June and its an offence to own a car without insurance unless its SORN. This isnt a myth that has been going for years, its a law that is a couple of months old!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ance/DG_186696

Wrong. My boss has had to insure all the courtesy cars at our work on his company policy due to these new laws, he used to have them uninsured and the customer would transfer their personal insurance onto the car for the duration of time they were going to be using it on the road, however this is no longer possible as they must be insured at all times unless they are sorn'd. See below.

OP needs to read this about the new insurance laws that came in June 2011.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_186696

If you're the registered keeper of a vehicle, it must be insured at all times.
The exceptions are:
  • if you have made a SORN for the vehicle
  • if your vehicle has been kept off-road since before SORN came into force on 31 January 1998 – unless it was brought back into use
  • if your vehicle is recorded as stolen, passed or sold to the motor trade or between registered keepers
  • if your vehicle is recorded scrapped or permanently exported by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing (DVLA)
What will happen if your vehicle doesn't have insurance

From the end of June 2011 Insurance Advisory Letters (IAL) will be issued by the Motor Insurers' Bureau to the registered keepers of uninsured vehicles. This will be following a check of the Motor Insurance Database (MID) - the UK's central record of vehicle insurance. The IAL will advise the registered keeper that their vehicle appears to have no insurance and what actions to take to avoid receiving a fixed penalty from DVLA.
If a vehicle does not have insurance, the registered keeper could:
  • receive a fixed penalty of £100
  • have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed
  • face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1000
Payment of a penalty does not replace the need for motor insurance.

Black 172
I think you need to read post #21 again.
It's illegal to let insurance lapse without declaring SORN, but that's a fine for the registered keeper after a warning letter. It's not illegal for someone to come along with Drive Other Car cover and DRIVE that car if it has no insurance of its own, as the drivers insurance covers him to drive.

E.g.
Mr X owns a car and lets its insurance lapse without SORN. Mr Y comes along and drives the car under his Drive Other Car cover. Only Mr X can get in any trouble.

Road Traffic Act 1988
(a)a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road [F1or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act

Last edited: