ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving too close

had my 172 for a few weeks now.

how many other notice drivers "tailgating" you when your in your 172 ? / clio

is it me or do other drivers associate size with power and therefore like to drive so close.

dont notice it in my other car , just the 172.

what is it about the 172 ?

has anyone else experienced this ?

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Yes, i think it has something to do with people wanting to race u, i get in my cup, never did in my old car...... Just glue them selves to your bumper yeh?

i dont get it guys, i mean the back of the clio doesnt exactly look like a performance car and its only the badge that makes it look different IMO.

not knocking the car as i love mine but i personally think the back of the 172 mk2 is quite "normal" looking. wheres the exhaust !! hehe

i could understand if the car looked mean from the back like other cars but it doesnt ! i guess the badge is enough to get people to want to race you!

love the front of the car though -

the best thing is that the zenon lights make people slow to 30 in front as they think your the police ! now that is funny !

clio 16v

i get it in my 16V really annoys me, wish i could just be left to drive normally! i put it down to jelousy!

don't

get it occasionally from some chavs, but more from just normal drivers

my m8 used 2 b like that, not aimin2 race any1, he just used 2 drive like that cos he thought it was normal, even followed ppl really close at 60mph+

really stupid some ppl, hate it cos it puts u off breaking incase they go in2 the back of ya and write ur car off :-(

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

i get it all the time in my mk2 ph1 1.2 8v, only things that make it non-standard is the colour coded bumpers, mud-guards, spoiler, and ph2 rear clusters... yet everyone wants a race

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 22 September 2004

I get it all the time, chavs, suits, neds, white van man all wanting a race. It gets annoying but you learn to live with it.

and whats wrong with the white van man????? doubt i could race in my ford courier(fiesta van) slow as fook diesel!

CLIO

i just slow down in the outside lane, then when they go to undertake speed up abit enough so they cant get past...bloody half wits

Clio 197

I get out at the lights, knock on the window with a smile and say:

"Hiya, just thought Id remind you to put your headlights on, because its really dark up the exaust pipes!"

Most of them are confused at this point.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Even I get it in my 1.4 beast!. TBH I think its the ClioSport Sticker in the back window, people assume that your a boy racer and either want a race, or think your scum and should be shoved off the road.

Quote: Originally posted by FATBOY on 22 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 22 September 2004

I get it all the time, chavs, suits, neds, white van man all wanting a race. It gets annoying but you learn to live with it.

and whats wrong with the white van man????? doubt i could race in my ford courier(fiesta van) slow as fook diesel!
believe me, I get WVMs trying to race me when Im in a traffic jam

Vee dub

Yeah i find this in my 16v

Annoying when your just chilling and listening to music whilst driving

Tom

lol at omars tactic! class

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I slow down a bit, piss them off, and then if the speed limits allow I drop the car to 2nd or 3rd and drop the accelerator, the look on their faces is class when they see you leaving them for dust!!!

TBH i dont think its anything to do with the size/power of your car (well certainly not the 172 for the reasons said above) - i think its just a symptom of modern life. Thesedays if youre in front of someone then it appears that they think "youre in the way" and will go hell for leather to get past you...whether they need to or not.

Way i see it is if they want past then pull in and let them try but i wouldnt get pissed of or anything because of it.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

TBH I hardly ever get people tailgating me....but when I do I use Donnyos tactic. hehe Really pisses them off!

iv had my valver back for 2 days now, fully flushed tailgate, alien spoiler, smoothed bumper, and iv really noticed ppl tailgating now!, never had it b4

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 22 September 2004

No I never get this problem, cos no-one can keep up LOL
I was going to say that. If they can keep up/are quicker then I let them go.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

I get alot more tailgaters now that Ive got a visible exhaust! I love it though, especially when the person gets pissed off. I just stick it at 30/31 (so that they cant complain if I go BELOW the speed limit) and then drop it to 2nd If theres a safe/higher speed limit road ahead! I really do love it honestly!

I use Donnyos and Martins tactic of slowing right up in a 30 zone and hogging the white line so they cant pass, naughty but nice! Tailgaters cause most accidents on motorways so it really pisses me off when they do it, I just move over and let them get on with it, once passed me they immediately start tailgating the car in front!

I dont seem to get this anymore than I did in previous cars - but I agree with u33db, it is a symptom of modern life. People just drive too close. My morning commute is entirely in a 30 zone: I sit at 30/32 and you should see how many people sit right up my arse. Actually had a Hyundai Getz overtake me once (in a 30 zone) cos I was sitting at the limit - what a tit.

But, I have had a couple of entertaining drives home recently where people have recognised what the car is and had a wee go - I take this as a sign of respect for the Clio, because in both cases the other cars shouldve been quicker.