ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving without bumper.

just wanted to know, if i could drive my car without a rear bumper, my exhaust has be moved up higher to fit a new bumper which is currently being sprayed and now the exhaust is in a position so the old one won't go back on without cutting a big hole in, (i dont wan to wreck a perfectly good bumper) just past my test friday and wanted to go driving but can't be dealing with points on my lisence on the first day i drive it. Just wanted to know if it was illegal or not.

It could be classed as a dangerous vehicle if the exhaust back box or any bare metal / brackets are on show (enough to injure a pedestrian)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i think the rules are if tghere are sharp/hot/moving parts that could hurt a pedestrian then its a no go

i decided to ring my local police station, spoke to some woman on the phone and asked her if i would be able to drive it, she said she would not advise me to do so, but if i was stopped it would be to the discretion on the officer that stopped me, if he felt it was dangerous i may not even be able to drive home in it, she then went on about crumple zones and that bumpers etc are made now to be more pedstrian hitting friendly.. i really want to go driving, but it kinda doesn't seem worth it!

Fiesta ST
Tractors don't have bumpers - just massive prongs sticking out of them. I was behind one the other day and it had a massive harvest mangle thing sticking out of the back - I rather hit a car with no bumper than that any day.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Yeah, you're going to look like an eegit driving around without a bumper. If it's a phase 1 or 2 1.2 bumper, they're ten a penny on ebay anyway, so just do yourself a favour and cut a hole.

it's a risk but i guess it's as you've been advised - it depends upon the Officer's attitude if you're spotted and stopped. i've driven to local garages without bumpers (or even bonnets) before