ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dropped a cylinder on my Ph1?

I drove home yesterday with the engine warning light on, then was driving it about today (after putting fresh fuel in) and the warning light started flashing and it sounded funny...like boxer engine...so I presume a cylinder isn't firing. It's low on power too and will stall when moving off unless I engage the clutch very gently. Lucky I was about half a mile from home so drove it back.

Any idea what the first thing I should do is? Thanks.

Clio 182 FF
HT leads, coil pack, spark plugs.

If it doesn't miss fire as badly with very slightly throttle then it's more then like one of them!

Clio 182 FF
If you can gather what cylinder isn't firing. Try swapping over the HT leads to see if the fault goes to another cylinder.

Does anyone know the best way to back off the bolts holding down the coil pack? I can't get any socket to fit over them because of the tiny gap between the bolt head and coil pack body. Stupid design!

Clio 182 FF
Ouch! Sorry man, only picked that one as it was the cheapest listed. You got a local ECP branch? They're normally really good.

I use ECP for certain parts, they are usually pretty good.

Have you tried swapping the HT leads over? I thought it was my coil pack until I swapped the HT leads over and there was a break in one of the leads.

I use ECP for certain parts, they are usually pretty good.

Have you tried swapping the HT leads over? I thought it was my coil pack until I swapped the HT leads over and there was a break in one of the leads.

I'll have to take the intake manifold off to do that yeah? I'm getting an OBD reader tomorrow anyway so will see what fault is flagging.

dan's cast offs.
either get it plugged in to see if it shows one up or you can just unplug them and measure the resistance, should be around 16ohms ?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, injector

home mechanic test, run lumpy, remove plugs, note which is sootiest, switch injector from suspect location to new cylinder and clean plugs. refit
run lumpy again and check to see if the sooty plug follows the injector or not

if it does, faulty injector, if it doesn't, faulty ht lead (9x out of 10)

If I unplug the lead 4 from the coil pack the engine note doesn't change. As I place lead 4 back on the coil pack I can see the electricity arcing so I am assuming the spark is ok (I checked the plugs), so this must be injector 4 right???

Clio 182 FF
If I unplug the lead 4 from the coil pack the engine note doesn't change. As I place lead 4 back on the coil pack I can see the electricity arcing so I am assuming the spark is ok (I checked the plugs), so this must be injector 4 right???

there still may be a break halfway down the HT lead that you can't see.

Now I'm confused because I changed the injector and it's still the same; if I take the lead off the coil pack the note is the same but if I take the plug out of the injector the engine slows.

Westfield, 182, 200
02 sensor error may be becuase it's running rich on one cylinder?

If it was me i'd suspect ht lead or plug-spark outside of engine doesn't necessarily mean spark in the combustion chamber as pressures are a lot higher.

Clio 182 FF
ohhh… its 1 to 4 from the right as your looking at the engine from the front isn't it?