ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR guys, how do you get pics like this?

Golf GTI 1.8T
These snaps are from a photographer at a club local to me, they are pretty much like most the ones you see on DSI.com

when I take pics with my compact digi the flash kills all the light in the background, how do they get pics with the flash lighting up the people and the background colour coming through so vibrant.

does anyone know what sort of kit they are using, cams, lenses, mode, iso etc as I need to get a cam capable to do pics like these.

a few examples of what I want to achieve

74d23101-61db-4dda-ae6d-3ac44dbd95f0.jpg

e3c996fc-fffb-44f8-9228-a6f1e82d0edc.jpg

2158d683-5af0-47bd-9d3c-307cd6260df6.jpg

d5906798-a388-40a4-9a7a-48c4d6233324.jpg

9e5b145f-1874-44dc-9941-7d34aaa73f27.jpg

this is a cool looking one

38830e79-3ce7-4f3b-80db-6190b6cd70f8.jpg

and how the feck did he manage this one?

f4dea525-5591-4cf6-aed2-013ce1c0aa17.jpg

any info much appreciated!!

mitch

LiquidPhoto.co.uk
Second Curtain Sync,

Shutters open for a few seconds, and just before it shuts the flash fires, exposing the forground,

pretty easy to do with a decent flash system,

i got me a canon 580ex today!! it can do it no problem!

LiquidPhoto.co.uk
with the on camera flash with the lower end cameras, i doubt it, some might tho, tbh i havent looked into it, with a decent flash gun tho, they all should,

can do it totaly manualy too, firing a flash by hand while the shutters open, done that a few times to good effect

Oh right get ya.

will all decent DSLR cams do this?

Any camera you can use in full Auto-mode will, helped by having an external flash, hefty set-up if your just on the town...

Settings...

Lens- those shots look wide, anything around 18mm
Aperture- low f/number 2.2-4
Shutter- 1/30 slower, that last one is maybe 1/3 second
Flash - err clueless here, keep mine on auto, usual does the job...

Golf GTI 1.8T
ok cheers. I need a DSLR camera to shoot a gig soon, I can borrow pretty much anything as my bro in-law is a writer for one of the DSLR mags and always has loads in for reviews etc.

LiquidPhoto.co.uk
Gigs is what i do, and i dont use flash for it at all really, i let the lighting do the work, and geting the timing right.although thats just my style.

ideal setup for a gig is a Canon 5D/1D etc with either a 85mm 1.2 or the famous 70-200mm 2.8, anything with a wide max aperature is good!

and settings wise i normaly use full manual, or AV mode, and high iso 1600/3200,( local/pub gigs are dark! proper venues have proper lighting tho, so you can drop to 400/800 depending ) keeping the shutter speed over about 1/60th to keep it blur free, although as shown above using flash and slow shutters in interesting way is good, most venues dont allow flash tho, so you need to find that out first,

This was one of the most extreme gigs ive done! a single 40w bulb in the corner!

This is one of my favs tho, the zutons from way back, when i only had my soft as hell lens!

and of course, you will want to tweak them afterwards, so always shoot RAW!

what mag does he work for out of interest?

Monaro VXR
Was at a gig recently and due to my "professional" camera I was told I was not allowed to use it. c***s.