ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E46 BMW 320cd

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
All been well i'm going to do a deal on this tomorrow:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uv...max_records=200&id=201131408654687&distance=0

Ive paid a deposit to secure it as i couldn't get to view it until tomorrow, anything to look out for? I've done my homework so to speak and will be sorting the swirl flaps straight away.....!

Also, the price, seem about right for the mileage etc? It will be a straight forward sale, no finance or p/x is it worth making a little offer?

Cheers

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
It's no longer on there now as it's sitting on my drive :)

52K on the clock, full BMW service history and is in immaculate condition - I'm very happy with it!

bmw320diesel036.jpg

bmw320diesel057.jpg

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
Looks very nice!!

I'm guessing it would have been quite strong money with such low miles on it though>?

It was Dave, Paid 9.5K

I've got myself a new job and get a decent car allowance and mileage rate, so thought why not!

It was registered on 22/12/05 so on a 55 plate.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Trader Rating - 100%
24   0   0
To be fair, that was a lot of wonga for a 320, but it looks mint, & has low miles, so c'est la vie. Not everyone scrapes the bottom end of the market like i do .... oh, & sort the swirl flaps, EGR, vortex oil breather asap :)

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
Looks nice but a lot of money for a bm with no leather!

Thank you. I could of easily had leather, however my golf has leather and to be honest I'm not keen on it.

So to summarize....

1. I didn't want leather, the seats in this are what I was after.
2. I didn't want a 330D, I was happy with a 320D so looked for a mint example, I found it and am very happy with my purchase!

It ticks every box for me, gave me over 50mpg on the way home and is a very nice place to be.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Really nice, been looking at these myself

Coupe's are much more than the 5dr, but they do look so much better

Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  AMV8, Mk1 Golf
nice car, looking at the 320ds myself, but wondering if the 330d is that much better?doing 25k a year now and the z4 is just too thirsty

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Trader Rating - 100%
24   0   0
wondering if the 330d is that much better?

It is yes, the 320d is ok, but i would have prefered to have given away a few mpg's to gain a much broader powerband & more speed. The 320d did my head in in traffic (where i spend a lot of time on the M3 morning commute) as it was just flat as a fart below 2k rpm, the 330ci i have now will pull in 6th from 800rpm, so is a far more flexible engine.

330d doesnt sound like a transit either.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair to the lad, it is mint, low mileage and a coupe which looks massively better than a 5 door. If he's doing a lot of miles as well, then the 320 is a better option.

Nice buy. :)

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Black 172
Alarm bells rang when you said you "paid a deposit because you couldn't get to see it to tomorrow". Dealers love this, you'll have come across as absolutely desperate for the car so they won't do much if anything off the asking price. You paid a lot for it but that's water under the bridge now, hope you enjoy it.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
Alarm bells rang when you said you "paid a deposit because you couldn't get to see it to tomorrow". Dealers love this, you'll have come across as absolutely desperate for the car so they won't do much if anything off the asking price. You paid a lot for it but that's water under the bridge now, hope you enjoy it.

I 100% agree with you, however the deposit was paid purely for the car to be taken off sale so I had the chance to view it.

The agreement was, and I had it in an email of the dealer first that if the car wasn't what I was looking for then the deposit would be refunded there and then. To be fair the chap was true to his word, once I turned up he said straight away that he would refund me the deposit if I wasn't happy.

I had looked at a few and there was a few rough examples about. When I saw this I could benchmark it against others I had seen and it was by far the best I had viewed.

The previous owner has taken very good care of it and it has a full BMW dealer history to go with it. I've had one of our garages at work go over it in detail and they too commented on how clean it was - could not fault it.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  E46 320CD
330ci is doing 37mpg

That's bloody impressive, I was under the impression it was hard to get over 30mpg.

Dave, you mentioned in a previous post about the EGR valve and Vortex oil something or another.... Can you explain please? The Swirl flaps are been removed next week but would like to know about the others things you mentioned please.

Cheers

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172, Tiguan
^tbh, if you've got someone doing the swirl flaps they should check the other bits as well, especially the vortex thing. I know PMW did when mine went in.

Dunn, can't comment on reliability i'm afraid, i've had no problems to report. Power is also fine for me, but then i sit on motorways all the time. If the 330d only does 5mpg less, i'd be amazed frankly.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
330ci is doing 37mpg, 320d was doing 47mpg.

Which, based on 30k miles a year, is £80 a month, or £960 a year more expensive.

To be fair, I would pick the 330ci over the 320cd if I was stonking up and down the motorway.

You'd make up that for £960 saving from the derv on repairs, servicing etc on the petrol. (I think how I worded that makes sense?!)

Big engined petrol cars for motorway cruising = win.

My 225 happily sits at 40mpg on a run.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Trader Rating - 100%
24   0   0
That's bloody impressive, I was under the impression it was hard to get over 30mpg.

Dave, you mentioned in a previous post about the EGR valve and Vortex oil something or another.... Can you explain please? The Swirl flaps are been removed next week but would like to know about the others things you mentioned please.

Cheers

Yeah, its not so bad, my old 330ci 5 speeder struggled to get 31, but the 6 speed box is soooo loooooooong its barely ticking over at 80 leptons. And yes, that extra £960 is easily counteracted by a DMF, Turbo, or injector failure.

For me, as i only keep cars for 6 months or so (due to mileage), any repair like that would really hurt the wallet, so i'd rather pay the extra 500 quid in fuel for 6 months & have less to worry about mechanically. Fingers crossed.

All the servicing info for the 320d is in my thread here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...iseaseal-...&p=7483697&viewfull=1#post7483697

As a '55 plate, i would assume that the oil breather is the later type anyway, but worthwhile checking whilst its all apart.

Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  172, Tiguan
Maybe on the repairs if the worst happens, but servicing? The BMW 4+ thing is a flat rate is it not? It's pretty reasonable as well. An oil service is £130, far cheaper than any oil service I ever had on a Renault. My dad just paid £230 to have the oil changed at the Renault main dealer on his 18month old Laguna! Takes the Michael.