ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My BMW E46 330i Sport Touring

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Actually didn't need the top up after all, but good to have just in case!

Finally got INPA working tonight, none of the codes were showing an obvious cause, but the "rough" test showed cylinder 3 wasn't running all that well. Most likely it will need an ignition coil, Bosch ones are £21 from ECP so not too bad.
ScreenShot2015-02-20at194223_zps0a77503f.png

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I really like this. Has it had new plugs? New plugs made a world of difference to both of my 6 cyl bm's...
Not since its last Inspection 2 I doubt. Its been serviced at BMW all its life. I had the plugs out tonight for a look and they all looked fine. I swapped the plug from cylinder 3 into cylinder 1 and vice versa, and swapped the coilpack from cyl 3 into cyl 2 and vice versa. Hopefully this will allow me to pin point if its a plug or coilpack at fault.

As its intermittent though, it's going to be hard to spot!

I read the values just after swapping and they were fine.
ScreenShot2015-02-20at214201_zpsfa2de04e.png

Cyl 2 is slightly abnormal to the rest if anything. That has the coilpack from cyl 3 on it... Will see how it goes.

Once again, thanks to @f0xy for helping me out with INPA.

Anything in the green is generally fine, even if they are going up and down. When somethings really f*cked it will go to a high number constantly, not intermittently

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What exactly are you defining as hesitation anyway?

I'd changed all the plugs regardless, cheap enough from ECP with discount codes and it's never a bad thing.

Going from your possible cam sensor fault earlier, that would cause hesitation, but it wouldn't cause it to keep cutting out, as the engine would just basically stop using the VANOS properly. On the E36s you can tell when the cam sensor is playing up as the injectors start batch firing (rather than sequential), but thats an old style injector, and they are loud. The smaller more efficient E46 injectors are quiet and you wouldn't hear them like that.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Inlet cam sensor replaced yesterday, car feels much better through the gears!

So that explains the initial performance issues, now I just need to find out where this intermittent niggle is coming from..

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Anything new to report since Feb, @DanielJames ?

I've now got Daniel/Tim's old 330i, very similar to this just not quite as well specced !

Nothing new to report no, still need to get that xenon washer cover sprayed and fitted! Still a lovely car, really did enjoy driving it to work this morning.
One thing I noticed this morning though which I never have before is how high the seating position is. I've spent a week in my Integra so that's probably got something to do with it.
I hope you didn't pay the asking price :D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Your lack of project thread upsets me.

Project thread !?

I bought it and drove home .. put the winter wheels in the garage and since then I've been driving it around. Think I put 40 litres of fuel in it the other day and some air in the tyres. Oh I plugged my iPod into it too.

Not really worthy of a thread haha !

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
So, the impending purchase of an M3 means this lovely stop gap is now for sale. I've got someone coming to look at it on Wednesday and they seem pretty keen, but if anyone else is interested shoot me a PM. It's just about to tick over 100k in the next few weeks. Full BMWSH. Asking price is £4500. Cheers

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup, told you yours was too expensive lol :tonguewink:
This looks epic now its clean, would look even better without the badman tints though!!
I meant for you, you spanner.
But yeah, I'm annoyed this is up for sale 10 minutes after I buy one purely for the options mine hasn't got haha..
Still happy with mine TBH so who cares !