ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

We're on our way, tyre shine applied, just to finish them off

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338997999198.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338997999198.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 127

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
please don't track her ( sad face )

Sorry... ;)

Trackday-_0013_Layer3.jpg

Trackday-_0011_Layer5.jpg

Trackday-_0003_Layer13.jpg

Trackday-_0002_Layer14.jpg

Thanks to Dan for the awesome photos. The verdict - Car: Awesome. Brakes: Utterly shocking. FOUR laps and they were dying off in a big way.

Rear braided lines to bit fitted ASAP along with some new pads and some new fluid.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Nice!

Even M Cars aren't known for the brakes on track. I'm not surprised. :eek:

Was it fun though? Looks it!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Looked well planted on track from the pictures. Can't believe the brake dust one that Ant has posted...Mental!

Is it wrong I kind of like it on the darker track wheels?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Disappointed at the side of sidewaysness.

Jokes aside, it looks like massive fun mate, gutted I couldn't join you.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Trying to to get a decent exit speed was ridiculous, just a slight touch of the throttle loosened the back end :(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Flol, I thought it was FWD ;) I would have loved to get out in the dry but not having much brake pad left ruined that idea :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice!

Even M Cars aren't known for the brakes on track. I'm not surprised. :eek:

Was it fun though? Looks it!

It was awesome fun mate, really really enjoyed myself. Wasn't setting any land speed records, but I had great fun. The brakes are beyond normal bad, they're utterly awful.

Looked well planted on track from the pictures. Can't believe the brake dust one that Ant has posted...Mental!

Is it wrong I kind of like it on the darker track wheels?

The wheels themselves are pretty cool TBH, with the right tyres all the way around and painted just in the graphite grey (not splattered in luminous paint) they look very smart indeed. See pic when they were still looking green:

Trackday1.jpg

As for the brake dust, a good idea of just how much we generated is this photo, you can see my area I wiped off with my finger (these were as new when we arrived at the track) notice the little sand piles of brake dust:

Trackday2.jpg

Flol, I thought it was FWD ;) I would have loved to get out in the dry but not having much brake pad left ruined that idea :(

I went through all the pics earlier, will request them in full size off of Dan, there's a few decent ones of you giving it some.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
my caaaaaarrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

brake fluid was done when the front lines went on not long ago, less than 6 months ago.
i want a black M// coupe... argh hahaha

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I should hope so I've knackered my forearm and my back is in pieces today from the back end snapping about lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
my caaaaaarrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

brake fluid was done when the front lines went on not long ago, less than 6 months ago.
i want a black M// coupe... argh hahaha

LOL! Thanks for the info. We probably cooked the fluid with the amount of abuse the pedal had to take... :eek: so I'll look at replacing it anyway. Any idea what the pads were? Horrific doesn't even come close!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Looks great fun! Im contemplating selling the meg and getting one of these :eek:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Good to meet you Rob, rwd may of been slowest.. but most fun I think so ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Time to get some proper brakes...! AP 6 pots up front.. something semi-serious with at least 4 pots on the back.

I'd highly recommend GodSpeed's grooved discs and kevlar pads but they don't seem to offer them for BMWs. :dapprove:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
brembo i think, not cheap ones

I really hope not! As ant says, one day we used over 50% of the pad, and they were fading within four laps!

Good to meet you Rob, rwd may of been slowest.. but most fun I think so ;)

Nice to meet you too mate, shame I didn't get a passenger ride out in the MX, would have liked to see how it went. RWD was definitely fun, I can't wait to start finding my feet with it (well either that or abusing the ph1 we want to buy).

See you soon at another day!

Rob, no bloody hope. Decent pads, braided lines and new fluid, see how it goes.

I'm not spending that kind of money on brakes.

Mini Cooper S
Looks like you had good fun mate! What circuit did you go to and what rubber were you using?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd be chucking new discs (grooved - no dimples!) on as well if it were me.

Buy a spare set of pads too just incase your next trip to Tesco is a bit 'hurried' ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Get the Ph1 Rob. They are so cheap now they are practically Bic cars.

Yeah me and Ant were talking about it. There's space for one in my garage too.

Looks like you had good fun mate! What circuit did you go to and what rubber were you using?

We did the Burpspeed Llandow trackday mate, did you not see the thread? Much cheapness for lots of driving!

We had pirelli pzero's on the back and some goodyear tyres on the front. We were running 255's on the rears and 205's on the front, both on an 8j rim ;)

Not going to lie, I think them wheels look epic on your Z Rob! Perfect offset, they just need properly painting.

Cheers Nick, Ant and I were talking about getting them in graphite grey and running them. As you say the offset is perfect, no rubbing or anything and they sit so well.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
FLOL, that would have been handy when I was doing triple figures with the chicane looming and the brake pedal not doing much!

Mini Cooper S
I didn't see the thread, shall take a look. The car looks suprisingly at home on track! How was the grip/handling in that kind of weather?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Im clearly being ignored :(

What this like on fuel etc rob?
Is the roof noisy at high speed?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I didn't see the thread, shall take a look. The car looks suprisingly at home on track! How was the grip/handling in that kind of weather?

I found it very slippy with the slightest touch of the loud pedal but tbh it did grip really well around the tighter corners!

It did around 36mpg on the journey to Wales, 8.6 on my session on track I think :evil:

It's suprisingly nice at around 80 with the roof down, the noise isn't too intrusive.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Rob should of asked you could of taken it out!

I'm not exactly protective of it ;)

Currently having its clutch done whilst I drink tea so hopefully won't sound like an auto now!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Sorry mate, I didn't think you'd asked anything :eek:

Fuel, average on the way down there and back was just about 38mpg, average around the track, for the whole day, was 9.1mpg

The roof, inside it's quiet as a mouse, fair quieter in fact than the Clio (not as quiet as the 320, obiously).

With the roof down it's a lovely place to be too, as soon as it's sunny I go everywhere with the roof down.

In short, I bloody love it.

Cheers mate, I think the wheels help it look a bit more "mean".

When I took Tyler out (who has a vx220) he was surprised at how much grip we had before it started to let go, except for not having great tires on the front so it understeered a bit, it was great in the really tight bends.

Rob should of asked you could of taken it out!

I'm not exactly protective of it ;)

Currently having its clutch done whilst I drink tea so hopefully won't sound like an auto now!

I would have loved a chance, but I'm only just getting to grips with rwd myself.

Looks awesome.

Cheers mate :)

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I didnt ask anything but i was expecting you to say "Yes sell the megane and buy one!" haha

Fuel isnt to much different to the meg then really... I need to have a think..

Insignia SRi
9.1mpg, I sometimes get that on a brisk road drive normally in the RS and im pretty sure my mpg scale doesnt even bother to register anything above 24! (and that's motorway driving) lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
After a bit of searching, I have found some things to check with the brakes...

First off, being an early model, the like for like replacement could be a 286mm SOLID disc... now apparently this can be replaced with 300mm VENTED discs.

If I am infact running solid discs on the front, this will most likely be one of the main reasons for the extreme brake fade.

Hopefully looking to upgrade to the vented discs, rear braided lines (to match the fronts) and some new pads (maybe something by EBC)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
pretty sure the fronts are vented... i think.. cant say for sure mind. my memory is shocking

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
I cannot believe for one second you will have solid front disks on that!

Bet it was fun on on a wet track - and it looks like Dan captured some nice images for you too:)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
pretty sure the fronts are vented... i think.. cant say for sure mind. my memory is shocking

You were correct.

I cannot believe for one second you will have solid front disks on that!

Bet it was fun on on a wet track - and it looks like Dan captured some nice images for you too:)

Checked today, they are vented, but I'm pretty sure they're only 286's not 300mm discs.

It was great fun thanks yeah and Dan did a great job with the pics.