ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ebay solid top mounts

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Hello!

Has anyone got any experience of the solid top mounts on ebay? They're about £115 delivered, look decent and seem similar to others on the market at twice the price.

Thanks
Greg

Clio 182
I'm tempted to buy a pair.
Even with new Febi top mounts it's loose as a wizards sleeve at top of the dampers. It's like the rubber donut thing is too small or the cap can't drop low enough to take up the slack.

Greg.w

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Just as a follow up, I bought these after finding the guy on FB.

Quality is fantastic imo. Fitting to the shock was easy. Fitting to the car was just drilling 3 x 8.5mm holes each side. Car is still on axle stands at the minute but all looks great. The spherical bearing is ptfe maintenance free, and is bigger than competitors (so I'm told). Also replacing the bearing in the future is easy, either return to the seller for a small fee or they tell you what bearing to buy to DIY.

I will update again when I get the car on all 4 wheels and take it a run.

Clio 182
I've bought the Gaz ones, purely because I didn't want to drill holes in the body. I think it screws together from above and below turret.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710-223020.png
    Screenshot_20230710-223020.png
    603.3 KB · Views: 24
  Clio 182
Not IME. I couldn't get them to tighten up, the smallest gap between the rings was 2mm, the steel thickness was 1.8!

View attachment 1652078View attachment 1652079
The gap between my top caps and turret is around 15mm. Way too much. Car body bounces around on uneven roads (most of UK roads then)
My other solution is the machine some 12mm thick large spacers to sit under the top mount bearings. This would take up that slack hopefully.

Thanks for sharing your experience mate. Very helpful.

Clio 182
Just as a follow up, I bought these after finding the guy on FB.

Quality is fantastic imo. Fitting to the shock was easy. Fitting to the car was just drilling 3 x 8.5mm holes each side. Car is still on axle stands at the minute but all looks great. The spherical bearing is ptfe maintenance free, and is bigger than competitors (so I'm told). Also replacing the bearing in the future is easy, either return to the seller for a small fee or they tell you what bearing to buy to DIY.

I will update again when I get the car on all 4 wheels and take it a run.
When you have them fitted I would love to hear your feedback.

Do you think these solid mounts would be too harsh for road use is my main question. Cheers.