ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Editable/Non Editable Regions - dreamweaver.

306 TD Slut
Basically, never used them before, made a couple of large scale sites in the past, and when adding/removing links in the menu ive had to open all the pages and change the code in each page.

Am i right in saying i could use an editable region within each page, and then have a page which holds the content of the editable region?

or a locked region.. so that it can only be edited from the main template?

ive had a play and there are no guides on how to set up regions etc.. can anyone help?

i think i need a locked/non editable region..?

aarrgh

Last edited:
  Honda S2000
I've done something like this is the past... I used it when I set up an intranet site and I didnt want webmasters to be able to change certain bits. So I made the main area of the page an editable region and everything else was locked. This was over a year ago though... I don't have DW on my work pc so i'll check when I get home Furrmesiter.

http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/tutorials.cfm?id=64

That was after a quick search.

Cupra
I used them on my site, create a template with an editable region. Every new page that you create from the template can only be adjusted within the editable region.

306 TD Slut
i have made the site already earlier this year. but they want new navigation on the site.

www.smc-comms.com

when i save a page as a template it makes loads of editable regions, dont really get what it means.

i have tried making a template with just the navbar in and applying it to the editable region on the webpage but no joy!

306 TD Slut
So I made the main area of the page an editable region and everything else was locked.

i want the whole page locked apart from the navbar on the left hand side.

then i want to be able to edit the navbar on one page and have it update itself on all 85 pages.

Honda S2000
Erm.. I can't remember off the top of my head. Last time I did that I used ASP because I thought it would make life easier. I had a header and a side nav bar which I inserted so when I changed them in one location it changed on every page. Is that what you mean? Can't you do that using CSS? I haven't done the webby thing is aaaages so I can't remember.

306 TD Slut
yeah thats what i mean mush.

not sure if you can with css.

that link you gave me looks like its gonna be a help. ta!

Honda S2000
PM that 172.com dude or Snoop. They are always very helpful in times of website design crisis. I'm sure its quite easy to use the templates. There should be a tutorial on DW how to do it.

ps you paid 65 quid for a turkey??? are you crazy!!! Or was that the total price?? i'll tell my mum you're not coming over.

306 TD Slut
yeah DW help was rubbish. just searching web for forums etc..

lol yeah, send my apologies to her and let her know i cant make it.

£65 was how much it all came too. gammon joint too! mmm cant wait, smothered in goose fat! :) Turkey was £14!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
if you create a template, then as default there are no editable regions on it. it should prompt this once it is saved.

if you want the menu, and any other areas that are unique to each page on the site to be 'editable regions' then anything that is modified on the template, (that isnt an editable region) is modified on all pages related to the template.

anything in the editable regions that is changed on the template is not changed on any of the other pages.

to make an area editable (say the pages main content DIV and the menu DIV, you need to highlight the <DIV> to </DIV> in the html code, then choose insert-->template objects-->editable region then give it a unique name such as menu area. this DIV will now be editable, and wont change if the main template page is changed.

Last edited:
  Honda S2000
PM that 172.com dude or Snoop. They are always very helpful in times of website design crisis.

PM that 172.com dude, Snoop or Adams 16v. They are always very helpful in times of website design crisis.

My webby peeps list is now updated.

306 TD Slut
Adams_16v is always going to come up with the answer fo sho!!

Craig - How do i go about editing each one of the pages.(which have already been made) so that the menu on each one is linked to a file which when edited will change all the menus.

the menu on each page will have to be non editable and the rest of the page will be editable, as each pages content is different, but the menu on each page is the same, right?

so what ill have to do it make a template page, which is purely just the menu yeah? like below.

Code:
<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="EditRegion1" -->
<ul>
   <li><a href="index.html">Home</a></li>
   <li><a href="company_overview.html">Company Overview</a></li>
   <li><a href="antennas_masts.html">Antennas and Masts</a></li>
   <li><a href="radio_comms_overview.html">Radio Communications</a></li>
   <li><a href="pneumatic_masts.html">Pneumatic Masts </a></li>
   <li><a href="hilocam.html"><strong>*NEW*</strong> HiloCAM </a></li>
   <li><a href="links_downloads.html">Links and Downloads </a></li>
   <li><a href="contact_us.html">Contact Us </a></li>
</ul>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

then somehow link the above template with each menu on all 85 pages..?

im starting to confuse myself lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
if your modifying the menu and you want it to be the same on all your pages, then just make sure that the menu is NOT an editable region and set it up on your master template only. then when you update and save the master template, it should update all 85 pages to match!

if it is an editable region, then it wont update all the pages, and will allow them to be updates individually on all 85 pages!

is that what you mean?

306 TD Slut
yeah tis matey.

but how do i make the whole page editable and just the menu non editable.

will i have to go through all the pages and save each one as a template and give each page editable and non editable regions?

Honda S2000
hmmm it appears this dude knows more website shizzle than me and also has an integra. I wanted a DC5 before I moved out here. This is not good.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
yeah tis matey.

but how do i make the whole page editable and just the menu non editable.

will i have to go through all the pages and save each one as a template and give each page editable and non editable regions?

ohh do you not have any templates setup at the mo?

you can apply a template to a page!

306 TD Slut
this template shizzle is really getting on my hizzle!!

craig - what would you do if you had this site for example www.smc-comms.com and got told you had to make it so the menu on the left can be edited easily and would updated on each page?

i dont have any templates, i made each page from scratch.

Honda S2000
Why don't you just use ASP and then you just put code into every page inserting the menu bar which you can then change from one location. Either way you're going to have to go back through and change every page. I'll try and find the code. It's fairly simple.

306 TD Slut
i dont know asp.. im looking itno now tho.

i have made a template form scratch and was going to duplicate each page into a new page from the template. if ya get what i mean.

but asp sounds alot quicker and straight forward.

let me know if you get that code :) thanks

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
if its a big site its advisable to use templates from the start but you probably realise that now lol!

i would modify the menu on one page, then copy all the code in your menu div, and replace the old code in each other page. You should be able to do that pretty quickly.

the other way you could have done it in the first place, is to use php includes to add each area of the webpage to each page. then you just edit the menu include and upload it and it will relate to all your pages.

as for people using old browsers. anything less than IE6, and they arent worth catering for IMO. the % of people using really old browsers isnt worth the hassle!

306 TD Slut
cheers mate,

and yep. i have realised i should of created a template from the start! ah well!! I would of had to go through all the pages anyway to change a couple of links. but now im just going to go through and create each page into a template. we all learn from our mistakes!!

im not too hot on php, asp, iss etc.. something for my next project maybe.

about 2% of the hits on that site are pre IE5 and pre FF2. alot of these hits are from the middle east where alot of our business is based.

306 TD Slut
rubbbbish!

only 16 hits from UAE!! :p:p

you dont work in the middle east, its all party! dunno what your complaining about.