ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Educate me - ipads

53 Clio's & counting
Now Cady is nearly 4, she is really getting into technology and im looking to get an ipad.

Obviously it wont be just for Cady, so looking to get the best I can, but I literally know nothing about ipads.

Now my Mum has an Ipad mini and that looks pretty good as Cady can hold that well - so can anyone give me an idea about these?

Are there different ones like there are ipads (ie 1/2/3?)

Obviously there is different GB, im guessing 16Gb is plenty and I can chuck a big memory card in

Is it worth buying 2nd hand? I am very wary about 2nd hand electrical equipment!

If new is best, where is the best place to buy?

How much will I have to spend?

Any help would be great!

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Are you sure you want an ipad for a 4 year old i'd be worried about them breaking it!

Have you considered a cheap children's generic android tablet for cady?
As you can pick them up for around £60 quid i think, plus they have a lot of parental controls on the children's versions?
Just a thought?
99% sure the mini versions apple/android just literally have a smaller screen and thats it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
My 2yr old struggled to hold our iPad 3 so I've just moved to a Nexus 7 and it's perfect forbus all. I imagine the iPad Mini would be equally as good if you must have an Apple device for your child but I went with the Nexus 7 as the cost to replace was only £150-230 vs £270-349

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
App quality is something the iPad brings to the party.

If you just want to show your kids videos, get an android tablet.

​Be aware there are new iPads in sept/oct.

Lotus Elise
I have a mini and its perfect for me. It just works all the time, battery life is good and it seems to be a quality bit of kit. I have a 16GB 3g and its superb when travelling/at circuit/at home.

My Mum has an iPad 3 and I find it far too big however it is better for watching movies and the F1 on.

53 Clio's & counting
Are you sure you want an ipad for a 4 year old i'd be worried about them breaking it!

Have you considered a cheap children's generic android tablet for cady?
As you can pick them up for around £60 quid i think, plus they have a lot of parental controls on the children's versions?
Just a thought?
99% sure the mini versions apple/android just literally have a smaller screen and thats it

Cheers mate, yes I have no issue with Cady using one - she uses my mums for hours on end with no issues and has been playing on my S2/S3 and Claire's Iphone for the past year - the reason why I'm thinking Ipad is it can be used for all of us :)

My 2yr old struggled to hold our iPad 3 so I've just moved to a Nexus 7 and it's perfect forbus all. I imagine the iPad Mini would be equally as good if you must have an Apple device for your child but I went with the Nexus 7 as the cost to replace was only £150-230 vs £270-349

Cheers Mick, she is used to my mums Ipad which is why I was thinking that way

No Tom, it's for interactive games, apps etc - plus it would be handy to have a tablet around :)

Just to make it clear for everyone, it's certainly not for her to just to watch the odd peppa pig episode or anything along the sort - she loves using my Mums ipad and on our phones when she isn't having friends round etc, so it would be good to get something with a larger screen and something I can load more kids apps onto - we can all use it for internet stuff too

225 Cup & Williams

I was thinking of buying an iPad soon. Think I will hold off until then.

Clio 220 Trophy
Now guys

Yes I,m mature in age I agree hence the username, but come on iPads for a young one of that age, I,m all for technology but at what age should it really start, 2 yrs olds really.

53 Clio's & counting

Cheers Tom, I take it refurbished official ones are as good as new?

I'd be inclined to just go for a base-spec iPad mini. £269.

I have seen a few 16gb mini's going for around £220 on Ebay (new), seem tempting!

Now guys

Yes I,m mature in age I agree hence the username, but come on iPads for a young one of that age, I,m all for technology but at what age should it really start, 2 yrs olds really.

I know it sounds crazy - tbh I didn't have a mobile until I was 17 - nowadays my 6 year old god daughter has one!

As sad as it sounds times are a-changing and technology at a young age is normal now.

Plus like I have outlined a few times in this thread, it won't be just for her, it will be family use too

Passat
Now guys

Absolutely agree. This is crackers. Get her on a bike and out in the garden. The last thing a kid needs is to be sat in a vegetative state glued to a ruddy screen.

The future is bleak.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Absolutely agree. This is crackers. Get her on a bike and out in the garden. The last thing a kid needs is to be sat in a vegetative state glued to a ruddy screen.

The future is bleak.

Alright grandad. I don't think anyone is suggesting they shove kids in front of iPads for hours. Your parents probably put you in front of the tv or the wireless when you were small.

There's educational benefits too.

I'd go for the iPad over any other, even with extra controls set on the android in my experience its easy to get into somewhere you don't want to be and change settings by accident easily. With the iPad software it's little to go wrong.

My little brother is 3 1/2 and he's ended up with an iPhone 4! No SIM card but he loves it, knows how to load the camera and take photos, play on apps and use the music app to dance about. He also likes to play on the iPad 2 that's in the house and the educational games are good and he learns through playing them. Along with both loaded with videos he can sit there entertained for a while at hospital(2/3 times a week) and in the car etc.. It's well worth it.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The iPad today is just like a kids toy of times gone past. Things move on.

Big difference between my 5 year old learning maths before dinner and her staring at a TV for 2 hours watching some vegetation show.

It's using these tools properly that count and if you're a sensible parent, you will.

53 Clio's & counting

The future is bleak.

FFS.

Do you not read what I have written above? She spends plenty of time out with her friends! She has many activities and goes to pre school 4 days a week. So before just guessing that all she does is sit staring at a screen all her life I would suggest asking me

Alright grandad. I don't think anyone is suggesting they shove kids in front of iPads for hours. Your parents probably put you in front of the tv or the wireless when you were small.

There's educational benefits too.

This ^^

The iPad today is just like a kids toy of times gone past. Things move on.

Big difference between my 5 year old learning maths before dinner and her staring at a TV for 2 hours watching some vegetation show.

It's using these tools properly that count and if you're a sensible parent, you will.

And this ^^^ - two posts that perfectly explain what I am wanting one for

Thank you for all the advise so far guys, I am trying to figure out what will be better - is the full sized Ipad worth the extra over the mini?

53 Clio's & counting
I'd go for the iPad over any other, even with extra controls set on the android in my experience its easy to get into somewhere you don't want to be and change settings by accident easily. With the iPad software it's little to go wrong.

My little brother is 3 1/2 and he's ended up with an iPhone 4! No SIM card but he loves it, knows how to load the camera and take photos, play on apps and use the music app to dance about. He also likes to play on the iPad 2 that's in the house and the educational games are good and he learns through playing them. Along with both loaded with videos he can sit there entertained for a while at hospital(2/3 times a week) and in the car etc.. It's well worth it.

Another post I hadn't seen, thanks mate - I like the idea of not being able to mess things up in case something is selected by accident - she is better on these than me so it would probably be me who would bugger it up :eek:

Clio 220 Trophy
Cheers Tom, I take it refurbished official ones are as good as new?

I have seen a few 16gb mini's going for around £220 on Ebay (new), seem tempting!

I know it sounds crazy - tbh I didn't have a mobile until I was 17 - nowadays my 6 year old god daughter has one!

As sad as it sounds times are a-changing and technology at a young age is normal now.

Plus like I have outlined a few times in this thread, it won't be just for her, it will be family use too

Well times are a changing so good luck to the young one, whichever tablet you choose, hope it helps your daughter in her education plus gives her loads of fun as well.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If it's mainly for your daughters use then I would suggest a base spec iPad Mini.

It's a family item. Get an iPad Russ. It'll suit you more allround imo.

I would get the one with Retina. Will also hold it's money very well for future changing. Silly I know but a point none the less.

53 Clio's & counting
Well times are a changing so good luck to the young one, whichever tablet you choose, hope it helps your daughter in her education plus gives her loads of fun as well.

Thanks mate, TBH it shocks me how young kids are into technology these days, but it seems to be going in a better direction - my youth was 80's and 90's so specrums, Amiga's, Gameboys, then Playstations, so we were in all the time playing these, where as Cady loves being out, but the odd time when she wants to play some games, an Ipad seems perfect - she can use it and so can we.

I will state too that the games she plays isn't like angry birds and the like, but more along the lines of educational games - most games manufacturers are making games educational as well as fun, so things like cake making with Peppa Pig, where the child has to select what ingredients they want, they have to mix it etc and it explains the baking process too.

I have an iPad 3 and an iPad Mini.

Much prefer the Mini as it's just about the perfect size for everything

I think I need to try both, I have only really spent time on a min

If it's mainly for your daughters use then I would suggest a base spec iPad Mini.

Family use mate, I was saying now Cady can use them it's a valid excuse to spend the money lol

It's a family item. Get an iPad Russ. It'll suit you more allround imo.

I would get the one with Retina. Will also hold it's money very well for future changing. Silly I know but a point none the less.

Retina? :eek: x

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
As its for your daughter to use, I'd get the bigger one. It'll make the kids education games etc easier with the big screen and IMO more engaging. At 4 she'll be able to hold a full size on easily anyway!

I think I'm right in saying you can put parental passwords on settings etc so she can only use apps and no cause havoc on it.

One thing to be aware of, is to try and make it something you give her to use, not just something that's laying around that she can use whenever. My Nephew (of sorts) is literally totally addicted to the wii/iphone games. It's mental. Was spending FAR too much time on them at one point for a littlun.

Evo 5 RS
Ryan is 4 and has no problem using the iPad Mini, it's the Mrs but he uses it all the time. Bought it for her on Tuesday, so much better than the iPad IMO. Easier to hold and laze back.

Plus it's cheaper lol.

Have to laugh at the idiots saying it's ridiculous being 4 using technology. Have a look on the app store. Plenty of games and learning apps for that age group.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Audi A3
you can get some really good childrens holders for them too, which will obviosuly help protect them.

be aware the the neweer ones have the newer charger, works great for me as ive got an iphone 5 but i imagine if youve got an older charger it could get irritating.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just go into app store settings and go to always request password and de-select in app purchases. Easy.

Retina is the screen mate, much clearer brighter, crisper etc. Better for doing stuff on especially with kids. It's on no.3/4. They have stupid name because I believe no.3 is called "iPad".

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Personally i think ipads/tablets worth every penny. Both our 5 year old and 3 year old use ours more than i do, watching youtube, playing apps - there are some really good educational learning apps. Watching our eldest starting apps, swiping and typing letters in is amazing really. I think i was playing with sticks and bits of string at that age.

Our 3 year old picked up a glass photo frame the other day and started swiping to change the photo! she was gutted when i told her it wasn't a new ipad.

53 Clio's & counting
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help :)

Where is best to buy? I do like Toms idea of a refurbished ipad, but so I can look around, where does everyone buy?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help :)

Where is best to buy? I do like Toms idea of a refurbished ipad, but so I can look around, where does everyone buy?

I'd only by one refurbed from apple because

1. You can't tell
2. It's cheaper
3. It's got all the benefits of a new apple product

I got my MacBook from the refurb store and paid hardly anything for it compared to the new price.