ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electric superchargers

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
We laugh here whenever someone finds an electric supercharger on eBay and asks "do these work". But it seems the serious car manufacturers are working on something pretty much along those lines.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108916/article.html

Horsepower for horsepower turbocharged small engines are more economical than normally-aspirated big engines, but turbocharged small engines can't produce much low-speed torque. Use a supercharger instead and you can, but they chew up power and petrol to drive them. VW has a car with both. The supercharger provides the boost at low revs, and the turbocharger takes over at higher revs. So its just like a bigger engine, and its more economical, but its complex and expensive. Toyota is looking at a petrol-electric hybrid, with its small-displacement petrol engine turbocharged, and the turbocharger connected to an electric motor/generator. At low revs when there wouldn't be enough exhaust gas for the turbo to generate much boost the electric motor/generator would run as a motor effectively turning the turbocharger into a supercharger. At high revs when the exhaust gas produced more boost than you could use you wouldn't just open a blow-off valve and waste it, you'd switch the electric motor/generator into generator mode to slow the turbo compressor down, and the electricity generated would go into the battery.

phase 1 172
i`ve heard that the golf version of the turbo and supercharger compo is plop but i havnt driven it myself!

still wont be gettin a turbo induction kit anytime soon tho ;)

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
but the top VW golf GT's it's a 1.4 with 170ps, quite impressive figures!!