ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electric window fault

2010 Jetta TDi 140
Evening all,

A friend of mine has an 03 Dynamique. He put the drivers window down the other day but the window wouldn't go back up.

He took it to an auto electrician who said he could fix it for £120 but wouldn't tell him what the fault was. The same electrician charged him £30 to get the window up and he has not used the window since.

Any ideas what it could be? I tried his switch in my car and it works fine.

I know the motor works as the auto electrician got the window up with the aid of a few wires from the battery on to the motor. He will happily pay the £120 if he knows the fault is worthy of this fee, but he thinks it may be something simple and that's why the garage won't tell him what the fault is.

Thanks, Chris.

172 cup
Got to be a new regulator job, think there about £100 for a genuine item. You can get after market ones for around £35, well I did about a year ago. Im guessing the motors gone if it wouldnt go up, or if it was trying and making lots of horrible noises then the cables

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
A wiring issue is the most likely cause in the door jam but If he managed to get it back up with a few wires me thinks, speaking as an autospark, the motor/regulator is most likely fine and he proberbly took the doorcard off and reversed the motor polarity.

£120 though - i need to up my game!

PH1 172
Guarantee it's the common fault of the clip on the runner snapping which won't allow the window to go back up and the reason why he would have used the motor to aid it to go up was to loosen the wires off so he could push the window back up. The £120 will be for a new non genuine window regulator which is £85 from Eurocarparts, GSF etc and then the rest as labour. Take the door card off (5-10min job) and have a look at the cables and you will see them wrapped up around the motor most likely. Get the part yourself and fit it mate as it's very simple....I did mine 2 weeks ago on the passenger side in about 45mins.

2010 Jetta TDi 140
Cheers for all the advice, I'll try and have a look this weekend with him (not that you need the window open in this weather!)

172 cup
Just take your time, as well as the obvious the speaker needs to be taken out too before removing the door card. Just a heads up