ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical fault light has appeared after washing engine bay

Suzuki Ignis Sport
So I've washed my engine bay as I always do, and used the pressure washer (as I always do). I started the car, got out to carry on polishing and noticed it was revving on it's own. I then noticed this light on the dashboard:

9mLJM.png

I pressed the accelerator and it didn't work. So I turned engine off, and fiddled about with the wires under the bonnett (all the ones I could see) and eventually it went off and the car ran fine. Just took it round the block again, and it's appeared again. Which wire is it specifically that's causing this fault? The car seems to be running ok. Should I take it a long drive to dry everything out? I'm guessing it's something accelerator related, just hope I haven't done anything! All fuses are dry in the engine bay too. Thanks guys! PS: This wasn't happening before I washed it.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
I can't tell if this is serious or troll

Have you seen how many youtube videos there of pressure washers washing enigne bays? I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. At least they cover some of the electrics

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
I don't think pressure washing the engine sounds like a great idea. Sorry I can't be of any actual help. :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport
As of now, the car was in limp mode earlier (no more than 3k rpm), but now just the engine management lights on but is driving fine. Infact, it's driving better. Maybe some waters dripped onto a sensor, and cleaned it for me? Which sensor would throw up the electrical fault light? Thanks guys. It's never hurt it before, on any car!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
There's about 14 various sensors on the engine so if you've soaked any of them take your pick.

I can't believe you honestly thought pressure washing an engine bay would be a good idea though... the general rule is Water + electricity = fucked

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Loads do it, it isn't just me. Im sure a lot have, just my bad luck. I just figured engine was fairly waterproof as its not that we'll protected.

extreme flamer
So I've washed my engine bay as I always do, and used the pressure washer (as I always do). I started the car, got out to carry on polishing and noticed it was revving on it's own. I then noticed this light on the dashboard:

9mLJM.png

I pressed the accelerator and it didn't work. So I turned engine off, and fiddled about with the wires under the bonnett (all the ones I could see) and eventually it went off and the car ran fine. Just took it round the block again, and it's appeared again. Which wire is it specifically that's causing this fault? The car seems to be running ok. Should I take it a long drive to dry everything out? I'm guessing it's something accelerator related, just hope I haven't done anything! All fuses are dry in the engine bay too. Thanks guys! PS: This wasn't happening before I washed it.

FLOL If I was you I'd take this as a lesson to use some common sense in the future and never, ever take a pressure washer (or any type of hose) to an engine bay again. The local stealer which I bought my car from done this to my car before I bought it and I wish I had went elsewhere now as I seem to have never ending electrical problems (if the car wasn't flame red I would definately have went elsewhere when I found this out).

As already said water and electrics really don't mix well, it could be any wire, plug, electrical component in your engine bay thats causing the problem, good luck mate I think you'll need it!

PS: that video is nuts haha My seats are really dirty, should I?

Last edited:
  1.2 16v
Dirty seats? Dont wanna know what you've been doing! :p ha.

Glad you've got it fixed thrill, not had much luck lately eh? Has it fixed your water pump issue like? ;) lol

Suzuki Ignis Sport
It's back to normal now so all is good. Water pumps getting replaced next week.. then all is good!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The electrical fault was just pure luck, fixed itself even engine management lights gone off too! Garage job mate!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL If I was you I'd take this as a lesson to use some common sense in the future and never, ever take a pressure washer (or any type of hose) to an engine bay again. The local stealer which I bought my car from done this to my car before I bought it and I wish I had went elsewhere now as I seem to have never ending electrical problems (if the car wasn't flame red I would definately have went elsewhere when I found this out).

As already said water and electrics really don't mix well, it could be any wire, plug, electrical component in your engine bay thats causing the problem, good luck mate I think you'll need it!

PS: that video is nuts haha My seats are really dirty, should I?

I've been washing 30 engine bays for 12+ years and can count on one hand the problems i've had. None of which were more serious than a can of WD40 and 5 minutes work.

The process is fine, if you use your brain whilst doing it.

Renault Clio 172 cup
you probably just got a bit of water force its way down to one of the plugs i would also check for any slight rips in the ht leads, sounds like its dried out now how long did it go on for?

1.2 16v
I had this come up yesterday and I immediately thought of this thread. Pissing snow!!! Wait until next month until I get her serviced at least!!