ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical fault???

S2 106 GTI
Came to start my car and it wouldn't even start! so I jump started it, drove around for 30 mins then turned it off, Try to start it again and nothing! again had to jump start it....... It did this a few weeks ago but eventually started with the key.
Any ideas on what it could be????

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
What is happening with the red light in the middle of the instrument pannel?

Does it flash quicker or stay on when you turn on the ignition?

How new is your car battery?

S2 106 GTI
What is happening with the red light in the middle of the instrument pannel?

Does it flash quicker or stay on when you turn on the ignition?

How new is your car battery?

Basically put the key in the ignition turn it till all the lights come on, then turn it again to start the car but it doesn't do anything?! The battery maybe still the original?? unsure

But its weird how it will bump start and ran it for 30mins and it still wouldn't start.

Ad

MK2 FRS
wont be the earth lead as it wound start full stop.

Sounds like a straight forward battery replacement. Thats where id start. Especially with you no running it regularly!.

Ultra Red Clio 197
same happened to mine! fitted new battery and havent had any problems since! your current battery prob isnt holding the charge! I have AA cover and they changed battery as mine still had the original battery in it.. Apparently the battery should be changed after 3 or 4 years..

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
the cheaper place to start is the battery, then if that doesnt solve it a re-con alterntor.

I've been having the same problem since I bought my clio a few weeks ago. The AA came out to me on Friday night as the car wouldn't start at all, wouldn't even try to start so I thought it was the immobiliser. AA man said battery was giving out 6v and dropping to 4v so wasn't holding charge.

I got a new battery and it's been fine since! Fingers crossed...:)

S2 106 GTI

Sounds like a straight forward battery replacement. Thats where id start. Especially with you no running it regularly!.

I'll try a battery replacement then, Everything lights up in the car no dip in power when i try to turn the key, it just doesn't do anything?!

Ad

MK2 FRS

I'll try a battery replacement then, Everything lights up in the car no dip in power when i try to turn the key, it just doesn't do anything?!

does it make a clicking noise? when you trying to start it?

172 Race Car
How about actually getting it looked at by someone who knows what there doing, instead of guessing and throwing parts at it. Just a thought.

You dont want to spend money where u dont have to

S2 106 GTI

does it make a clicking noise? when you trying to start it?

nope nothing. just turn the key -as if you were to start it and nothing! you can hear the throttle bodie buzzing and the fuel pump working.

S2 106 GTI
How about actually getting it looked at by someone who knows what there doing, instead of guessing and throwing parts at it. Just a thought.

Thing is....i would but all the garages around where i live are robbing buggers! and no nothing about the clio sport!? even the Renault garage when i took it there for a road test- the mechanic said never worked on one of these! :S :eek:

Ad

MK2 FRS

always difficult with an intermitent fault.

If everyone gave that answer to problem we would remove half the function of the forum.

Id still put money on the battery, although does sound strange mate!

S2 106 GTI
I'll have to have a better look into it. it is ver strange, it was only a few days ago i fired it up! hopefully it will be the battery

S2 106 GTI
Had a go at charging the battery up last ngt for a few hrs, took it off charge...... key in, turn.....Not a thing! I would have least thought if the battery was dead it would of had a go at turning over.
I hope its not the starter motor!

Ad

MK2 FRS
havent a clue lad.... tis an odd one. French electrics for ya!

maybe its had enough of you driving it slowly;)

S2 106 GTI
CHEEK!!! CHEEK!!!! I will buy a battery tomorro and hopefully it might cure it!....if not will have to get it in to a garage to have a look.

S2 106 GTI
Well I have changed the battery and still no joy!............where abouts is the starter motor?? I will have a look at this and see if this is the cause