ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine braking when cold ???

Clio 182
Hi all firstly I'm new but love this website ! it's my 1st 182 and I'm hooked but I'm finding my feet so I'm after some advice. When I initially start my car for the 1st mile sometimes even less it feels like between gear changes (normally 1st to 2nd) the engine brakes ? Literally like the engine is braking ? Now I need a lambda sensor 2 actually but pretty sure this wouldn't cause the fault ? Other then that there's no stored faults it goes like stink it's had belt and dephaser done ?

sidey

ClioSport Club Member
  cup'd arctic 182
Welcome to the forum mate.
The 'lumpy' cold running of these engines is totally normal, I believe it's to do with the safer map the ecu uses as the engine warms up.
I felt that switching to V-power helped (may just be imagined).
The very well regarded RS Tuner 98 RON map helps a lot from what I've read... Next investment!

Iceberg 172
I've just got a 172 and I can agree with you. I wasn't sure whether the brakes were sticking but the rear discs, pads, and callipers have just been replaced. It feels like it really holds back in 1st and 2nd but once you get moving it seems ok. I'm hoping it is just the lumpy cold map that restricts it and then when it's warm it seems to move better.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Be thankful you don't have a 197/200, not only do they have the restrictive cold map (to meet regulations afaik), they kangaroo like a b*****d when cold, to the point of being dangerous!

If it helps, my car made 160bhp on the cold map, you'll notice the rev limiter is very low as well.

Clio 182
That made me laugh knuckles. Glad I'm not going mad. Heard a lot about this 98ron map does it help to run them on vpower anyway ?