ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine condition- what to look for?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I went to a dyno test some time ago and the car came with 155 bhp @ the fly - which seemed rather poorly don't you think?
It pulls well ( as far as I can tell) and keeps up (if not slightly ahead) with a 197 which made 184 bhp on the same dyno.
The same day just before me another 182 did 151 bhp - both cars same mods except rs tuner remap (mine)
Mine has the milltek de-catted exhaust and some k-tec like diy induction with a Ramair filter (not that this counts so much powerwise)
Seems odd that two 182's at the same time to reveal such low figures, especially that both cars seem to go pretty good.
Anyway this had me wondering if the engine is still going as strong as it feels or is it better to check for unknown issues and if so what should I look for to determine if it's in top shape or not?
Car has about 90k, and had a good service history, oil changes at 6k everytime, cambelts done twice so far, etc
Thanks!

330i. E30 Touring.
Ignore the figure on the dyno. Test it against something real world (which you have done with a 197).

Dyno figures are nothing but pub talk, as there's so many variables. Did the place with dyno also happen to offer remapping, or a modification service/health improvement?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Who did the belt?
The first time a guy who used to work at a renault dealer and had experience and the right tools, the second time a friend who has a garage but I did make sure he had the cam tools and also assisted him, looked like he did well. Both places outside UK so other details wouldn't help

Ignore the figure on the dyno. Test it against something real world (which you have done with a 197).

Dyno figures are nothing but pub talk, as there's so many variables. Did the place with dyno also happen to offer remapping, or a modification service/health improvement?
Totally agree with you mate. However I'd like to do a check, car is 11 years old now and I want to make sure is going well ;)
And yes, the dyno place also offers remap - I was also thinking he may be trying to sell me a remap - but the 197 figures looked right, plus he didn't mention anything about a remap, maybe he was subtle lol

As said, I'd just ignore it mate. If it goes well that's one reason to ignore it. Let alone it having a similar figure to another 182. Let alone comparing it to a 197.

If you want a little bit of piece of mind get it compression tested.