ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Dynamics.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Has anyone used Engine Dynamics for a nice engine build?
i know they are possibly known under their previous name of BB Tuning from back in the 5GTT days.

it would be nice to have some feedback about how you were treated, if you felt you had good value for money, if they catered for your engine requirement needs perfectly, and how you feel afterwards.

Im not looking for a standard freshen up, but possibly to raise compression, some nice head work and more lairy track orientated cams to all work in harmony for a great track engine?

​bottom line.... Recommended or not?

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
I rang them up a while back i was chatting for about 30 mins lol

Top guys and really happy to help and ill be using them in the future, and they no there stuff

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Tbh, I didn't know mike was an engine builder, never known of engines he has done or heard people speak of his abilities covering this until now.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Ah ok, I thought chip did Lee's engine.

​i shall give him a shout.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
He also built the first iteration of the turbo'd engine that is now in Chips (albeit Chip has fettled with it since). I'm hoping he'll build mine when I finally am in the position to push the button on it.

He has wider experience of engine building than just F4r's aswell, building quite a few engines in the Ford world iirc.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Cub, I knew Mike from the ford world before life with a diamond badge ;)

​just didn't know he was an engine builder aswell.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
To be honest mate, I think I need to sit down and chat to a builder (Mike) about what I'd like to achieve and see what he suggests.

as you probably know, the trophy is never going to be a road car again so I'd like the engine to be a strong and lively lump purely for track.
i don't mind lumpy idles, or solid lifters and wild cams if it gives a lovely engine that delivers.
after all, it probably needs to be built to live towards the upper part of the rev range.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Understand totally, I'm in a similar boat, so I wouldn't mind seeing the final spec you do go for mate, when you've decided. One things for sure, whatever you do go for, it will make an awesome Trophy even more awesome :)

53 Clio's & counting
To be honest mate, depending on your budget a 'budget' build isn't as bad as it sounds - ie an internally standard engine (bar a set of arp's for safety) with itb's is really good fun - much more lively than standard which a good 20+lb ft torque advantage throughout the rev range - this you could thrash the knackers off and if anything happens you can chuck in another one for very little cash.

A set of cams (421's with itb's = yum) would liven it up even more and easily swapped to another engine.

Obviously having an engine designed to handle higher revs etc would be good, but naturally would cost a huge amount more, and would need more fequent rebuilds - i'd probably say to do a 'proper' build, you could have 10 standard engines (I know there is a factor of labour fitting etc, but a standard engine would last ages if treated well)

Just food for thought :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If you want the head doing for a good price then look no further than the group buy I've got going. Get some better valves in there too at the same time. Then hand it back to A N Other to build the engine.

As for revs you're going to need better springs and rockers unless you stick with the usual 421/C&B/ED cams. No harm getting something a bit lairier and going all out on it though, would make a nice engine. Also remember the cams will change the dynamic C/R so you may want higher CR pistons to compensate.

One thing I wouldn't bother with is ARP fasteners for main bearing caps and head. Standard stuff will do. Just ARP the big ends unless you go forged rods and pistons in which case they come ARPd already. Usual ACL bearings.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Food for thought is very good, and I've more or less just had the same convo with Porkie.

ive been known to get carried away in the past on a track car, and before you know it an engine build suddenly costs near on 15k, doing this totally goes against what I bought the clio for, a cheap budget track car (although 'budget' may be slightly different to a few others idea of the word) to use and have great fun with.
the bit that always appealed was how cheap engines could be picked up for on the clio's if anything ever went wrong, and I wasn't worried initially about playing with the engine until I had mastered the car so it could be as good as it could before hand, with the engine letting go it gave me an opportunity to start looking at wilder options.

i should have a decent option with a 172 engine this coming weekend, simple enough to change over and be back out on track again in 4 weeks time, with convo from Porkie about how he feels about all of his engine builds, logic is sinking in a little for now, snap up a set of ITB's, aid its bottom end strength with some ARP rod bolts, and get back out there to use the car again.

nothing complicated, no large pound signs build, easy to maintain, and lap up some more track time :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You could do Piper cams for an extra £320 whilst the engine is out for a bit more go. Or 197 cams if you can get them cheap. Both a bit less than Catcams and it would be rude not too :cool:

I've been there before a few times with decent engine builds....not going there again

53 Clio's & counting
Food for thought is very good, and I've more or less just had the same convo with Porkie.

ive been known to get carried away in the past on a track car, and before you know it an engine build suddenly costs near on 15k, doing this totally goes against what I bought the clio for, a cheap budget track car (although 'budget' may be slightly different to a few others idea of the word) to use and have great fun with.
the bit that always appealed was how cheap engines could be picked up for on the clio's if anything ever went wrong, and I wasn't worried initially about playing with the engine until I had mastered the car so it could be as good as it could before hand, with the engine letting go it gave me an opportunity to start looking at wilder options.

i should have a decent option with a 172 engine this coming weekend, simple enough to change over and be back out on track again in 4 weeks time, with convo from Porkie about how he feels about all of his engine builds, logic is sinking in a little for now, snap up a set of ITB's, aid its bottom end strength with some ARP rod bolts, and get back out there to use the car again.

nothing complicated, no large pound signs build, easy to maintain, and lap up some more track time :)

Spot on that mate, you have plenty of time for builds etc once you have had a year with the car :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mike and Chip did it together I believe.

Yeah me and Mike built porkies original engine just as a freebie favour for him, although he proceeded to kill it a year or so later at bedford by selecting 2nd instead of 4th, so now Mike's sorting out a new one that isnt anything to do with me this time around as I just dont have the time to build it with him this time, in fact im struggling just to get my own car ready what with the impending house move halfway across the country etc.

Mike does indeed and always has in the past built a fair few engines, but these days increasingly he also works alongside an engineer who does a lot of the core engineering work for Mike when Mike hasnt got the time to do it all himself (Kelv, its a guy called pete, who is a good friend of Steve Milton's who you of course know), either way though, its still very much a good thing to be going to Mike for and it doesnt really matter which of them is doing the core build up as they are both extremely good at what they do. Pete goes a long way back with Neil Roper as well Kelv who im sure you are familiar with too?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If you do go ITB's Kelv let me know when its bolted together and I'll come and steal it from you for a week or two and hand it back mapped, would hate you to have the problems that lots of people do with ITB F4R engines where the mapping kills them, its already a bit of a borderline thing to be doing reliability wise just cause the pistons are such poor quality castings but at least if its mapped properly you stand a fighting chance.
Personally I wouldnt even bother with cams if you are just using a standard engine TBH, it increases the chance of a failure by more than it increases the performance if that makes sense?
Dont get me wrong, it will get quicker on 421's etc, but it will also have a much higher chance of getting dead too.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Cheers for that offer Chip.
i can easily pop it on the trailer and drop it off to you wherever you may be by then (if you are in your new house)

Another very kind offer from you there chip.

​You know ITBs is the way forward Kelv ;)

I've heard nothing but good things about ED. Check out their FB page, some pretty interesting posts with details of projects. But as I said earlier and its clear my views are shared. Mike would be my first port of call in this area for engine work.