ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine/gbox mounts

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
can anyone tell me which mount has caused my engine to fall into the inner drivers arch?
ie. what way does the engine drop when the dogbone or the top drivers mount goes?
also anyone know how far away the inner arch side is from the aux/timing belt?
im going to go and check the methods for the drivers mount and dogbone mount adjustment but would like a guide on how the engine should line up with the arch at the side and also how the sump lines up with the bottom subframe/member.

Clio Sport 172 ITB
It may well be a combo of both mate. Is one has been gone for a while it puts extra stress on the other mount. I had a screwed engine mount and didn't know untill it shattered my gearbox mount on the ring trip I was on last year lol

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yea im puzzeled now as it seems to be anything could be wrong from fukied mounts causing the movement
but more important the steering when moveing atall is basically moveing the engine/box with it i have about an inch to an inch and a half play with the engine following the steering,
spinnning the discs/wheels when jacked up it resorts in the exact same movement side to side and also i cant get the full circle of the wheels/discs clicking in the box.

what do they top mounts do asin the dogbone stops the engine rocking top mount stop ?and battery mount stop?

i think it's solidly mounted to the car at six points - just identify the frame and have a look around it - two at the front, one in either arch (at the back), and the triangular plates at the back of the subframe underneath. check eveything's tight. if it is, i'd be worried!

the rack's bolted to the subframe, and so's the engine - it's got to be the frame that's moving?

Clio Sport 172 ITB
I was thinking along the sub frame :-s if it's that god knows what's happened for that to come lose / snap. How low are you? Have you hit anything recently?

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
i aint hit anything recently cars sitting dropped 40mm with 17s,gearbox change not long ago and subframe wouldave been dropped for that maybe,

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
whats worst case for the subframe steering rack and engine moving all together,would this be causing the shafts and box crunchy not driving more than 5 ft trouble?

if the subframe's properly loose, it'll cause all sorts of problems, as all of the front end's mechanicals are bolted to it

just have to hope it's loose mounting bolts as the alternative is (i'm guessing) captive nuts in the shell that are no longer captive (which would be bad)

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
Henry;) the alternative is (i'm guessing) captive nuts in the shell that are no longer captive (which would be bad)[/quote said:
?nuts in the shell

stripped threads is another possibility, although the two main bolts (in the arch) are rather large and it'd take some effort to strip the threads, or break the captive nut. given that you've just had the box changed, it seems poss. they've not put it back together properly

just check these bolts first; it'd be easiest to do it with the weight of the car on the ground, otherwise you'll struggle to tighten them if they're loose (as they'll be supporting the weight of the subframe/engine/box/etc)

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
im thinking my box could be fucked as its not letting my wheels roll its just moving my engine/box the inch/inch+half back and forth when the shafts are jamming.hitting a click click in the box.
but when steering right to left the engine goes right to left so im unsure as to y this is everything is tight subframe+steering rack wise,

it was in for a mot last week and it needed rack bolt tightened on passengers side,a bolt put in the drivers subframe furthest point back,theres a lambda issue and power steering is 'inoperative' it is temporary just not when sitting idle on the spot which tester wouldave done,
there is a little 90 degree metal bracket from manifold down to top bolt on dogbone which wasnt on well it was on the bolt but no nut this was advised about and i popped a nut onto it,
diff circlip has just been replaced non welded just put in as it still had a good checkout for it to sit in,its lasted like 5 days if it is that which has maybe half came out of place and causing the shafts problems in turning which is passing the strain onto my mounts giving the enigine movement,
its not getting driven just now ive got til friday to get powersteering+lambda for re-mot to save me a mot fee again,i dont wanna take this to a garage as i suspect they will con me for shafts box mounts and who knows even the belts and kit arggg!

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yea thats whats confusing me as the box could be f*ked,with a shattered shaft and a few mounts maybe