ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine light but no problem.

Clio 172 Exclusive
I rarely drive my 172 Exclusive, it sits in the garage for weeks on end and comes out occasionally on a nice day for a bit of a burn.
......Just setting the scene

So I went to the garage to take it for its MOT and started the engine, didn't notice any problems or the engine light on. As I got into the car I caught the eccelerator peddle with my boot and I momentarily rev'd the nuts off it's cold engine, but certain it did not go into the red.
As I pulled the car out the engine light was on, the last time i see this it was a lambda sensor :-( and the car drove like a pig, but this time I took it for a very short drive up the top of the road and back again and it drives fine, no difference from what I can tell.
Does anyone know what the problem could be or weather a short sharp over rev could cause engine probs.
Or does anyone know how to reset the engine light so I can see if it comes back.

Any constructive advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Its booked into Renault to get check out anyways but would like some info for them should they say I need to change the fluc capacitor for a wizzamajig and it starts costing me big time.

Audi Q7, Avalanche
could simply be due to the long standing and infrequent use, i.e. the engine emissions may be out slighty and is showing up and being noticed by the ecu. i very much doubt that a simple blip of hte throttle would cause much damage if any at all

Bye Bye 182....
Whne we have clios etc brak down with the light on its usually a coil thats packed in but if you arent having any engine misfire etc it could be just down to infrequent use.

I doubt very highly if pushing the accelerator could have caused any damage - just a coincidence I would say.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Wouldnt put it into renault mate - waste of money in my opinion unless under warranty.

The light should go out after about 5 okay starts so take it for a drive and every time you stop at traffic lights etc turn off ignition and restart.

Maybe just a spurious reading caused it to go on.

Mine done this the other day and the light went off after about 5 restarts - never came on since.

No point paying renault £50 or so to look at it unless you know it has a fault.

Clio 172 Exclusive
Renault charged me £40 to check that its just a reoccurance of an old alarm.
fooking strange.