ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine locking up

Clio 182
Hi,

I'm after a little help and advise

I've just recently built my head back up after the crank pulley slipped and bent some valves so I replaced them and refitted the head, what my problem is now once I have fitted the cam cover and sealed it up and gone to time everything up and fit the new belt (using correct tools) when I try to turn the engine over by hand once the new belt is fitted the engine locks up which I presume on one cylinder the piston is at the top of its stroke and the valves on that cylinder is open hence rotate anymore.

I was wondering if I have the cams 180 degrees out and if so how would I tell.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Clio 182
I'll have a look in the morning.

I know when I put the pin in the slit in the end of the crank was between the 2 marks on the housing.

It shouldn't be between the 2 marks. It should be on the mark with 0. You've got it in the balance hole.

However this still wouldn't be enough to lock it up. The cams cut out for the tool is offset, and should be on the lower half of the camshaft. It does sound like you've got a cam 180 degrees out.

Ah sorry I was thinking you meant the mark on the flywheel. There is a little inspection hole on the gearbox with a few marks on it and a 0 and an 8. You want the mark on the flywheel level with the 0.