ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine missfire on idle, cambelt picture request.

Gordini 182
Hi everyone.

Ive started getting a misfire on idle, goes away with slight hessitation under load.

Ive tried many parts which usually cause missfire (spark, inlet, injectors, tdc sensor, air leaks, o2 sensors ) so think the timing maybe out.

My request is...

one your opinions one the issue?

two could someone that has had the engine out and taken a picture of the cambelt on and timed ready to go back in upload the picture so I can check the markings against mine?

Many thanks

Hi everyone.

Ive started getting a misfire on idle, goes away with slight hessitation under load.

Ive tried many parts which usually cause missfire (spark, inlet, injectors, tdc sensor, air leaks, o2 sensors ) so think the timing maybe out.

My request is...

one your opinions one the issue?

two could someone that has had the engine out and taken a picture of the cambelt on and timed ready to go back in upload the picture so I can check the markings against mine?

Many thanks

You won't be able to tell visually.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
I'm not saying it's not possible but I would find it more likely to be an ignition issue as he says it clears. I would expect it to be an ignition lead breaking down before cambelt. Don't understand why everyone is so quick to assume cambelt when the car was working fine before. I would only suspect the belt assembly if it's been changed recently.
You mean to say that cambelt timing hasn't slipped in the past? I've seen it on cars with the cambelt done poorly.

Gordini 182
I've checked the plugs and give a good spark, if it was it was the leads or coil pack surely it wouldn't spark properly.

I wanted to know what cam marks to look for st tdc

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Timing belt is set and checked with locking tools. Seriously try a set of leads I've seen plenty in my time that have given the exact problem you're having. Arcing in the plug bore or generally not working properly at low revs.

Gordini 182
Ok mate ill give them a try tomorrow, my girlfriend has a 1.4 would they work for testing or do I need them for the 2.0?

Gordini 182
Not sure they were ones that renault supplied but we're only about 5 months old.. I've got a tdc pin for the 2.0.

When the car at what marking should I look for on the pullys?

Gordini 182
I noticed on the dephaser pully there was a marker on it, when at tdc should the mark be pointing in a certain position?