ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount change difference - recommended

172 Cup, Williams
I have covered this in a larger post but just wanted to share as an individual thread.
I have just changed the engine mounts on my 58,000 mile 172 Cup and can say that it has made an amazing difference to the way the car drives. Clutch engagement is so much smoother, gear changes are tight, the car overall has regained its "new car" feel.

Before I did this, the car had been fitted with Purple dog bone bushes, I'm pretty sure that this just passes the torque and vibrations through to the upper gearbox and top engine mounts. My opinion is that if you are going to change any bushes or mounts on the engine, you should change the lot to get full benefit from the work.

In summary - Highly recommended

172 Cup, Williams
what did you change your old ones for? OE or uprated?
The main OS mount was classed as OE uprated, this is the item number in EBay 262024522433,
The gearbox mount was a Febi Bilstein one again EBay item number 271994627772.
The engine had fore and aft movement in it before the new parts, its very solid now, but interestingly the harsh vibrations which I asumed were being caused by the uprated dogbone mount have disappeared.
As I mentioned before, its got its new car feel back now :up:

phase 1 flamer 172
Yeah, my phase 1 is road use only, so all mounts are original, but newish, thought I would replace the dogbone with polly as this wasn't new and I guessed unavailable.. Started car and the vibration that occurred made me take it straight of . Wondered if it might loosen a bit after time.

172 Cup, Williams
Yeah, my phase 1 is road use only, so all mounts are original, but newish, thought I would replace the dogbone with polly as this wasn't new and I guessed unavailable.. Started car and the vibration that occurred made me take it straight of . Wondered if it might loosen a bit after time.
Maybe a freshen up of the engine mounts will help, the new mounts certainly took the vibration out of the dogbone. At tickover, the dash used to vibrate, now it ticks over like a std car.
I reckon that if you can move the engine back and forth using the two lift points, you will benefit from new mounts. I'll back this up by saying that I am no expert (as you know105e) :wink:

BG Clio 182
It loosens right up over time, give it a few hundred miles!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk