ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine swap

renault clio mk1 1.2
i was thinking of getting a r5 gt turbo engine and putting it in my clio mk1 but a friend tld me they were weak engines any suggestions what engine can replace my 1.2 one at the moment??

Williams 1&2, LY182
If your after a turbo engine then you could use a volvo 480 1.7 turbo, its a renault engine. its not just plug it all in an play though!! for a quick conversion put a 1.8 16v clio lump in?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
r5gtt engine + tw@t who thinks he knows something = boom..

nothing wrong with the engine, its just old and there are to many people giving bad advice or setting the boost wrong.. the 1.7 a good engine and will give good power if you talk to people that know how to extract it..

dont bother with the 1.8 16v, just buy the car for 1k and it looks better..

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
if i got a 1.4 clio engine, would this go straight in my car or would i have to buy other things? let me know please, cheers.

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
can you explain mate, my cars an o5 so il need a newer engine? would i need anything else major or would the garage be able to get the little bits for me? coudl you tell me the other stuff i would need, thanks alot mate, its just the car is slow i want it abit nippier :)

can you explain mate, my cars an o5 so il need a newer engine? would i need anything else major or would the garage be able to get the little bits for me? coudl you tell me the other stuff i would need, thanks alot mate, its just the car is slow i want it abit nippier :)

Forget it sell up buy a faster car its less effort and pain. Were not on about older cars here where you could just dump a bigger engine in and it works.

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
no i like my car i just want a 1.4 engine lol, could you tell me what would be involved and what would need to be changed? thanks jamie.

no i like my car i just want a 1.4 engine lol, could you tell me what would be involved and what would need to be changed? thanks jamie.

Depend how you go about it and your skills. However since your asking that problably means you won't (not wishing to be mean).

There a few ways the common way it to do it like the 172 one ie strip the car to nothing and replace the whole lot.

There a few other ways round it with wiring bodges etc you ca go stand alone ECU etc.

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
il get a garage to do it, other then putting the engine in, would i have to buy anything else? like brakes or anything like that? let me know please, cheers mate.

Clio MK2
this year renault bought out a new engine for the clio, something else, and the new twingo when it arrives. its the 1.2 16v d4f block but with a turbo on it from what ive read.
though i dont know how easy it would go in a mk2 its got 100 bhp and low low insurance:D

Clio Dynamique 1.2 2005
OMG, that would fit straight into my car i presume? when is this going to be released then, any idea of a price? estimate?

OMG, that would fit straight into my car i presume? when is this going to be released then, any idea of a price? estimate?

Its for sale now been out a bit.

You'd need to find one which has been crashed then decide how your gonna run it stand alone the best idea realy.

Clio MK2

i have no idea if itd fit in easy or not and what would be involved, youd have to ask edde or someone as he seems to know his way round a clio well.
its already been released but the engines are rare, though i think it would be an awsome little convertion. strip the car out and maybe increase the boost slightly. then go scare off a couple of corsa's

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Considering it's a brand new engine it'd be tricky because of all the electronic gubbins all the new Renaults have.

Worth a go, but a lot easier to just buy a 1.4 or 1.6. Some tidy examples about too.

i have no idea if itd fit in easy or not and what would be involved, youd have to ask edde or someone as he seems to know his way round a clio well.
its already been released but the engines are rare, though i think it would be an awsome little convertion. strip the car out and maybe increase the boost slightly. then go scare off a couple of corsa's

Why not use a 172 engine much better idea.

It should fit quite easily.

Depending how you do it you might be best going to stand alone ECU.

Clio MK2
Why not use a 172 engine much better idea.

It should fit quite easily.

Depending how you do it you might be best going to stand alone ECU.

i probally would use a 172 if it wasnt for insurace costs, and it would be a laugh and a bit different

J03

MX5 1.8
enda day its a clio, dont waste your money. if u want to spend money tuning save it for something like a 350z or an M3.. at least these cars can get an ouput 4x the much as the clios.