ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

erasing your h/drive

golf r32
im selling my pc soon (hopefully) and basically wont to wipe it clean. can anyone recommend a program for this task. ive tried to format the hard drive but windows xp wont let me!!

please help

-stu-

yeah. Best off buyin a new, small hard drive, can get them for pennies these days, then there is no risk of people un-deleting your stuff

RB 182
Revels182 said:
Theres 7 stages of delete, but someone, somewhere, will always be able to get it back! ;)
When you wipe a drive 7 times that is then done to DOD standard and even taking the platters out and testing for the positive and negative charges on the hard drive won't work if the 7 wipes have done there job properly.

172 Cup
5tupot said:
im selling my pc soon (hopefully) and basically wont to wipe it clean. can anyone recommend a program for this task. ive tried to format the hard drive but windows xp wont let me!!

please help

-stu-

XP will let you if you do it correctly.

http://www.killdisk.com/

Is what I've used in the past.

The Free version doesn't do as much, but it seemed to work. We have stuff at work which can recover dead hard drives, and it couldn't get anything off after we used it. (Free version)

The Pro version, though, will work that bit better (and it's not that expensive)

Do a search for Datawiper. It's a secure (forensic) format, used by government department.

It's free and fits onto a floppy, boot and type in one word, then enter.

SLK 350
5tupot, just use the DBAN link i provided you with, create a floppy, choose the amount of passes you wish it to make using the various algorithms and leave it to do its work. They all use the same algorithms to write over all the data anyway. But unless your into kiddy p**n or some other dodgy activity, i don't see why anybody would goto the hassle of trying to read data off of a clean format.

Killdisk freeware is ok, but it's not as thorough as DBAN, we at work used to use Killdisk to erase data from obsolete hardware, but we changed to DBAN a while back and its a lot more thorough and conforms to standard practice.

golf r32
im just worried about some bank details as ive signed up to lloyds internet banking, nothing to do with kiddy p**n or anyother freaky activies as you kindly stated !!!!!!

-stu-

RB 182
It's not as easy to get your bank details as you might believe, you would really have to go to some trouble to get things back if you've deleted your internet history properly. You can do forensic searches for different bank things in unallocated space but your looking at someone going out there way to find it.

Iceberg 172
I use a tiny lil app called sdelete. You can pop it on a floppy and then boot from that. Wipe the disk as many times as you want. As people have mentioned, normal deletes just dont to the job properly. I think someone claimed that they can restore data from up to 13x wipe but any further and its currently not possible. That is using outrageous methods of restore though which is only going to worry the CIA. Just go for 4 or 5 and just leave it going over night or something. That way you have your peace of mind.

Also, for ease of use, Acronis Disk Cleanser is a good one. It creates a boot cd which gives you a nice lil gui and stuff.