ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Erratic idling

Clio 182 Sport
Hi,

I have a 182, and when starting on the mornings the car idling weird.

it revs by itself. it does not do a clean idle , sounds like it wants to die, then the rpm goes up to an ddown and up and down..

anybody know what it cn be?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Aftershock. I don't think that problem is just with the 182's my friends 54reg punto does it, I think i'm right in saying it something to do with a rich petrol mix that is used from cold start - automatic choke?!
Hope thats a little help! Nothing to really concern yourself with!
x

Clio 182 Sport
I thought about that... it's got an electronic throttle. but still.

these ECU's are quite accurate .. so it should not do that. I wonder if this does have any relation to the acoustic valve which I removed from the airbox?

ur megane r26
my car does this i have a 1.2 and i thought there was something wrong with it, so took it to renault for its service before the warranty ran out and they said it was normal so no problem, tis annoyin tho

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Try cleaning your throttle body with carb cleaner.

If they are dirty they dont idle well.

Clio 182 Sport
The TB does have lots of oil in it when I last checked. that oil breather is probably pissing the oil inside there.

LY V6 with Recaros
My vtr used to do that. Citroen could never seem to properly sort it out though. Was really embarrasing when the engine revved and stalled at lights all the time!

Clio 182 Sport
haha.. my wife drives a C2 vts, and that things hunts alots. they changed the battery, and some of the harness. but it still happens.

the clio however is different. I going to get it remapped this afternoon and check then.

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
dont worry mate my 172 does it too, it shakes alot and people say wtf is that noise, but when its warm it stop, only sometimes when in traffic u can hear it a tiny bit when warm.

also when its going mad like that from start up and i dont have time to wait for it to warm up, it is jerky and the throttle feels less responsive if u get what i mean? even if u tried to get ur foot down u prob go up by only 1k revs lol

just let it warm up and u be fine

Clio 172 Rep (SOLD)
mine does it every morning cuts out all the time or revvs for ages, but it also does it everytime i fill up at the petrol station, cleaning the body helps but it comes back, just have to get used to it.

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Check your exhaust system for leaks. When mine is cold there's a leak from the cat joint to the rest of of the exhaust. Easy way to spot this (depending on the scale of the leak) is that moisture from the exhaust system will drip from leak which will no doubt be at one of the joints. It's been doing it for a couple of weeks now - need to sort it.

Every modern 16v engine I have ever driven has had a lumpy, bouncy idle whenever there is an exhaust leak from cold start. Do you also find that sometimes on a cold start when you give very light throttle inputs it's almost holding back?

Clio 182 Sport
Yes, it does hold it back... almost like it's telling you I am not feeling like revving now! go away.

when i start it 80% on the time, it dies instantly. have to start again..

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
Yes, it does hold it back... almost like it's telling you I am not feeling like revving now! go away.

when i start it 80% on the time, it dies instantly. have to start again..

seriously now have u been driving my car or something?! :p mine dies 50% when cold and starts on 2nd attempt, ONLY once did it have to start on 3rd attempt but i get what you mean when you say i dont feel like revving today go away, happened today AGAIN lol late for college =(